Discuss Wonder why this pump failed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

IMG_6032.jpgIMG_6031.jpg

Hadn't been touched for 25 years and it was properly goosed - the terminal box full of water and kept blowing the trip in the consumer unit.

Complete pig to change. The pic doesn't show it but it was buried in a nest of piping - could barely get grips onto it. Despite chiseling, the nuts weren't moving so I ended up cutting them off (God bless my dremmel :) ).

And then of course, the cold feed blocked on refilling and I ended up cutting it out and replacing.

4 hours in the end...

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was installed correctly it may of lasted longer.

Shame

Looked like a fun job

If it was installed correctly it may of lasted longer.

Shame

Looked like a fun job

You're not wrong - the new one was installed better :)

What and no cylinder in the way?

The cylinder was an inch to the right of the Danfos thermostat :) I'd have been stuffed without the dremmel - two slits in each pump nut and they popped off.

and i bet you new one will not last longer , hope you told your customer !
if not just e mail them and recommend to clean system

Did you not fancy turning the iso's off then? :lol: Sometimes cutting the nuts off is a quicker option when it comes to such corroded connections. Only issue is "have the valves isolated or not?" :)

25 years is pretty good for a Grunfos pump that looks only a few years old.

Had the head been turned it might have lasted 50 years lol.

Whatever happened to the Commander S series of pumps, I'm sure there's still some of them about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wonder why this pump failed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock