Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester multipoint water heater - pilot will not light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryWaite

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a look at a gas fired water heater today, pilot would not light. I removed pilot assembly from the supply tube, depressed control knob, there was plenty of gas there.

From this I gathered that the pilot injector was blocked. I tried to clean the injector, to no avail, so for now, water heater is out of action.

I was going to order a new part, before I do though, I wanted to ask on here can these be cleaned out usually?

Also, the bottom nut on the pilot assy. Which connects to the supply pipe from the gas valve is sooted up, around and above it. Is this a tiny leak which has ignited previously?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372191880.783422.jpg

I tightness tested everything before I left and sprayed joints after the gas valve with LDF, and isolated the appliance until the problem is rectified.

Had a look at a gas fired water heater today, pilot would not light. I removed pilot assembly from the supply tube, depressed control knob, there was plenty of gas there.

From this I gathered that the pilot injector was blocked. I tried to clean the injector, to no avail, so for now, water heater is out of action.

I was going to order a new part, before I do though, I wanted to ask on here can these be cleaned out usually?

Also, the bottom nut on the pilot assy. Which connects to the supply pipe from the gas valve is sooted up, around and above it. Is this a tiny leak which has ignited previously?

View attachment 13680

I tightness tested everything before I left and sprayed joints after the gas valve with LDF, and isolated the appliance until the problem is rectified.
Parts are obsolete Terry for the old WR MPWH series, yes soot means a leak, sort with graphite grease, remove the injector from the pilot burner and boil in a pan of white vinegar, then bolt back up, LDF everything afterwards

Thanks ever so much, I sorted the leak with a tiny bit of gastite, is it a leak that has ignited previously do you think?

And why the white vinegar? Just curious.

I tried putting my manometer tube on it and blowing, incase it was a bit of loose debris, then thought a really thin welding tip cleaner may have gone in the injector, but it is absolutely minuscule the orifice, had no compressed air on me so gave up the ghost.

I was not aware parts were obsolete for these, I don't do many repairs. I shall go back soon and try again to unblock the injector by boiling in the vinegar, sounds fun!

Thanks ever so much, I sorted the leak with a tiny bit of gastite, is it a leak that has ignited previously do you think?

And why the white vinegar? Just curious.

I tried putting my manometer tube on it and blowing, incase it was a bit of loose debris, then thought a really thin welding tip cleaner may have gone in the injector, but it is absolutely minuscule the orifice, had no compressed air on me so gave up the ghost.

I was not aware parts were obsolete for these, I don't do many repairs. I shall go back soon and try again to unblock the injector by boiling in the vinegar, sounds fun!
White smells less and is more ph mildly acidic so breaks down all the crude, and any gas weasel( blue in colour designed to keep old corked mains joints from leaking, by lubrication) that has got through.......

Thank you Vern, the vinegar worked a treat... used brown though as I couldnt get hold of white. the pilot now has a strong flame which stays alight.

The heater was a worcester WR WR 325-1. Are the parts are obsolete for these? They seem to be available from a few places online.

Thank you Vern, the vinegar worked a treat... used brown though as I couldnt get hold of white. the pilot now has a strong flame which stays alight.

The heater was a worcester WR WR 325-1. Are the parts are obsolete for these? They seem to be available from a few places online.

Nice one Terry, brown malted works it just stinks lol......this tip works on all injectors......parts are whats left Terry, no more are being made

excellent post and excellent replay Vern ,

btw his name is John :)

alright John ? how you pal , how is your little boy ? wish you were here I have a small job to price involves repipe a 2" and 2"1/2 steel pipe work

Hello Stan, I am good thank you mate, long time no see... My boy is good he was 1 last week, still not walking or crawling, lazy like his dad!

How are you? Yeah I can fit steel pipe with my eyes closed, I would have gave you a hand.

My name is John as Stan rightly says.

Terry Waite was the priest who went to Lebanon in the 80's who got kidnapped and chained to radiators, that is the only reason I could think to use it as my alias!

Thanks again Vern.

I am working on the cards doing commercial mon-fri, and the odd bit of plumbing and heating for myself.

Well done John I am happy for you pal . Most important is keep mrs happy and everything will be ok . My little boy is 4 now and he is doing intensive training with speech and language therapist .He is actually been able to say some words now I am so happy to be honest ....
Hope it all goes ok for you pal :)

Hello Stan, I am good thank you mate, long time no see... My boy is good he was 1 last week, still not walking or crawling, lazy like his dad!

How are you? Yeah I can fit steel pipe with my eyes closed, I would have gave you a hand.

My name is John as Stan rightly says.

Terry Waite was the priest who went to Lebanon in the 80's who got kidnapped and chained to radiators, that is the only reason I could think to use it as my alias!

Thanks again Vern.
Lol no problem John.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester multipoint water heater - pilot will not light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock