Discuss Worst cylinder change ever. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Headed out to change a cylinder this morning. It was a 42-16 in a tight airing cupboard so I allowed myself 4 hours to do it.

Didn't start too well, no drain off on the primaries so had to vac the water out via the aav. Then had to cut the fittings off because there wasn't room to get a spanner in, God knows how they fitted it in the first place. Now for the new SS cylinder. Because of the width of the insulation there wasn't room to plumb it like the old one so I had to set it on the diagonal with the cold feed at the back. I preplumbed the cold feed and extended the primaries forward. I managed to squeeze the cylinder in, piped up the primaries and refilled the heating circuit. Result all of the joints were good and the boiler fired and I had good circulation.

Now for the domestic side, fitted the immersion, plumbed it all in and started filling. Going to run a bit over but not too bad. The cylinder filled and I checked all of my joints, bone dry. As I wired in the immersion I noticed a puddle forming under the cylinder. I thought it must be the immersion leaking and running down inside the lagging so I tweaked it up. Checked again and there was water dripping from around the flow connection. That connection was sound so I cut away at the insulation to be greeted with a spray coming from the weld area. Oh crap. Rang Bill at Williams who dispatched Ollie over to Eastbourne to grab a replacement cylinder for me. I managed to get the cylinder out with only two cuts so hoped for a quicker replacement.

Ollie rolled up at just after 3 with the new cylinder to find that he'd been given a 42-18 instead of as 42-16. After several calls it looked like Ollie was going to have to make a trip to Ashford to get yet another replacement and, fortunately for my customer. Ollie was happy to work late to get the cylinder to me. Finally at just gone 6 Ollie got back with the replacement cylinder and my dreams of an easy fit were dashed as the primaries weren't in the same place. After a lot of swearing I finally got the cylinder in and all systems full again. On with the boiler and the frigging return was airlocked. Took me over an hour to get it clear. What a flipping mare, I finished at 9. 12 hours to do a job I'd allowed 4 for.

Some you win Mike some you lose.....seems you lost big time today hope you have a better day tomorrow...regards Turnpin:smile5:

What a kerfuffle! You can put your feet up for a bit.

Glad it turned out alright in the end, one to forget though.

Glad to hear the guys at Williams went the extra mile. Not many would have went to the effort.
Tomorrow is another day. It will be better

Sounds like a bad day! I've had it before where the cylinder has been faulty. Feel like going mental ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worst cylinder change ever. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock