Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

when changing rads the wrapping makes a good dust sheet same with boiler changes the boxes cut up properly make good worktop protection

If you wear shirts for work never put your phone or any other valuable equipment in your top pocket and lean over a blocked manhole!
never leaan out of a mansard window to view the blocked gutter with a stanley knife in your top pocket especialy over looking picadilly how its mised everyone ill never know and it only broke the blade

Some great tips here, i have a few. 1-Instead of buying those expensive strips to clean pipes in those hard to reach places prior to soldering. Why not get a roll of sanding paper and cut them into strips, its miles cheaper and does a better job.
2- You can get a neater finish on soldering if you apply a gentle heat to the joint and wipe away the excess melted flux that trickles down the pipe
3- You can also use a pencil to mark around the joint prior to soldering and the snots just fall off because it wont bond to the pencil mark
4-If you have a leak on a coupling on a waste pipe never fear, put some glue on the leaking part, put your wet vac on the end of the pipe and you can suck the glue into the leaking coupling.
5- you can put overflow pipes  into your pipe bender and pull 45 degree bends and offsets, u cannot pull 90s tho lol.
6- I never really bung a tank you just stuff the cold feeds up with a plastic bag, tuck it in with a screw driver (not all the way of course) and voilà, it works,  forget bungs lol
7-You can cut lead perfectly with your plastic pipe cutters that you would use on hep.
8-If you pull a 90 degree bend on 22mm pipes and file the burr you can slip hep pipe through it to get a tighter bend without kinking the pipe.
9-This I ONLY do when i forget my hole saw kit at home (which is all the time lool) you can heat up the end of your copper and use it to cut the nice hole in a cold water tank and any snots can be scraped off with a chisel it works a treat, trust me.
10- If you have a blackberry phone use it to store measurements of the most common things and material lists in it memo pad function ( i've set mine to my side button, so one press and hey presto).
11-the 15mm pipe came out of a 22x22x15 tee on a live heating system on one job, all i did was stuffed it with bread through the 15mm hole on the fitting and soldered a pipe to it, then put a ballafix to the end put the wet vac on and sucked the bread out.
12- You can make slip couplings with a socket former and a hacksaw, just knock in a longer socket and cut it with the hacksaw (not slice)
13- If you have a loose wall plug or its spinning a bit pack against it by slipping lil chips of wood beside it.
14- Try very hard not to use compression joints under the floor or in places you cannot later get to.
15- try to pull more bends under the floor and use less fittings which lowers the chances of you getting a leak.
16-drain a cylinder fast by putting the hose on the drain off, drain as usual and taking the top nut out or the immersion and slip a piece of 22mm pipe in there put your wet vac on the pipe using a cloth to cover the gap between the vac hose and the 22mm pipe, so u dont lose suction and your off, less than 10-15mins on a standard cylinder, you must be prepared to empty the vac a few times tho lol
To be honest i could bloody write a book on tricks, you guys got some good ones  but i bet you have more, I just developed a way of doing things that lets me put up a combi and power flush;the system before half day with all neat pipework put in 2 by 6pm daily, its also to long to write down on here lol.
keep writting guys cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

All good John Blade, cheers, although it's not recommended to heat tube and punch a hole in a plastic tank with it as it weakens the wall of the tank.

Thanx for that system3, i only really do it when im in a tight spot (forget my holes saws at home) i never had any probs with it before and we are talking years now, but thanx again much appreciated.

you can use wd40 to on old silicone the enzymes in it destroys silicone so theres not really a point in buying silicone removers. thought id add that tip before my message gets deleted lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll def give the WD40 a go on old silicone. Cheers for that.

we have found a resident tipster lol.

what about the combi swap?.

If your silly or unlucky enough to have to fit a bath with the taps at the back against the wall, please dont use tap conns & fibres, I might get called to fix the leaks 12 months after you've gone. Better to buy taps recessed for a plain nut & olive and a nice bit of copper tube not plastic.

use a glove when using wire wool. Anyone got a good tip on how to get the little ****ers out when u havent got tweezers handy!

use a glove when using wire wool. Anyone got a good tip on how to get the little ****ers out when u havent got tweezers handy!
Amputation?

uber strong magnet?

I've a mini pair of pliers on a small leatherman key ring which are very handy for splinters!

i know storage for lux brushes hAS being mentioned before but another idea that i use for them is a toothbrush holder got mine for£1 from pound shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock