Discuss 3x water tanks = confused in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrjameskent

Hi all,

I'm in a 2nd floor Victorian flat which has a gravity fed water system. I'm considering changing to a combi-boiler for space and volume of hot water reasons but am confused about a tank of water above the toilet.

I have:

1x hot water cylinder/tank in storage cupboard
1x cold water storage tank directly above the hot water cylinder
1x cold water storage tank above the toilet in a seperate room

I'm confused as to whether a combi-boiler would mean I can remove all 3 of the water tanks - ideally I would like to free up the space above the toilet where there is currently the tank.

Or does the combi-boiler mean I can only get rid of hot and cold water storage in the cupboard but need to keep the tank above the toilet?

Kind regards
James

Sorry .......... didn't read ya post proply!! .... Have you tried running taps to see if the one in question starts emptying?

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as above. Do what DG said first, if thats not the case then it sounds like to me that the small tank (above the toilet) is the F & E tank.
If this is indeed thecase then yes you would remove all 3 tanks when you upgrade to a combi boiler.

To be sure if you don't mind, could you post a pic of the tank (because it could be something else entirely).

Plus, (if I may) how many bathrooms have you got. The reason I ask is because a combi boiler may not be the right thing for you (especially if you have more than one shower).

Same as above. Do what DG said first, if thats not the case then it sounds like to me that the small tank (above the toilet) is the F & E tank.
If this is indeed thecase then yes you would remove all 3 tanks when you upgrade to a combi boiler.

To be sure if you don't mind, could you post a pic of the tank (because it could be something else entirely).

Plus, (if I may) how many bathrooms have you got. The reason I ask is because a combi boiler may not be the right thing for you (especially if you have more than one shower).

Good thinking Davinder ... Heck of a lot of cold re-runs too, I'd imagine, if it's all indirect feed at the mo! :)

Good thinking Davinder ... Heck of a lot of cold re-runs too, I'd imagine, if it's all indirect feed at the mo! :)

Oh yes.... Let the fun begin.

James, i take it you live in kent. I'm sure somebody on the forum in that area would be happy to go and give a quote for the job, and at the same time tell you what the tank is for.

Before you consider changing to a combi I'd ask yourself what happens if/when it breaks down. You'll have no hot water and no heating until it's up and running again. In addition, if the cold water supply is erratic (unusual but it does happen in some areas) then you'll have no cold or hot water.

The huge advantage with storage cisterns is that you still have a 2-3 day supply of hot and cold water when the mains fails to deliver. Also, with a hot water cylinder, if the boiler breaks down you can still heat water via the immersion.

There can be a large amount of re-plumbing to do when changing to a combi. If you have mixer showers then the cold will need to be balanced with the hot or the shower may not be warm enough. If you have large baths and smallish combi cannot give a sufficient quantity of hot water.

As you can see I'm not a fan of combis but I will concede that without those tanks you do gain much space and a combi is probably a more price efficient way of heating water.

well boys my two penath, the tank above the toilet cistern is either the feed for the existing heating system, which is probably near to the point,or it could be for a cold feed to a shower, unlikely because this tank should have been sighted at the same level as the cold feed and expansion tank.As for combi's they are a unit on there own and any existing shower for example needs to be upgraded to suit the combi.Myself personnally i like to fit unvented with a qaulity system boiler,but good luck James and i hope my two penath didn't do anymore mind bogaling for you
regards Tony M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3x water tanks = confused in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock