Search the forum,

Discuss 5 Day Plumbing Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Able Skills has devised a 5 day plumbing course, which is entirely hands on and will suit a wide variety of people across the board.
As a City & Guilds approved training centre, you can be assured that all facilities and staff in place are to the highest of standards and that we will deliver quality plumbing training to your requirements.
Able Skills has attempted to cater for all by arranging these intensive plumbing courses. Whether you are looking to complete a course for DIY purposes or considering a change of occupation, we feel that everyone’s needs can be met.
Both Kitchen and Bathroom plumbing features are covered, including learning how to cope with any emergency plumbing tasks around the house.
We are aware that plumbing tasks are varied and complex and we are not offering this course with a promise of making you a qualified plumber. What we are offering is the opportunity for you to learn the basic principles of domestic plumbing in order for you to tackle some of those jobs around the house that have been needing attention for some time.
Alternatively, you can use this intensive plumbing course as a stepping stone to a plumbing career.
Plumbing Course | Plumbing Courses

I thik these 5 day courses are a joke to be honest. Even in 5days you cant learn enough about all different plumbing tasks in a house its impossible! theres plumbers out there today to do this sort of course and people like myself get called to repair the work they have left some you wouldnt believe! 1 i went to a bloke had been on a 6 week course and thought he could do gas aswell.. join 2 pipes together with a nice bit of hosepipe and 2 jubilee clips nice work ey>?
Fair enough if its a stepping stone or just go get involvement into a proper college course or apprenticeship!

If you read the post correctly it dose not state that it will make you qualified...

We are aware that plumbing tasks are varied and complex and we are not offering this course with a promise of making you a qualified plumber. What we are offering is the opportunity for you to learn the basic principles of domestic plumbing in order for you to tackle some of those jobs around the house that have been needing attention for some time.
Alternatively, you can use this intensive plumbing course as a stepping stone to a plumbing career.

Then they can go onto further their training from there.......There is also many timeserved cowboys in all trades not just wanna be tradesmen....

So we can't tar them all with the same brush can we......but thankyou for your comments at least it shows you care about your trade.....

im times eerved only no qauls but 11 years now iv been doing allsorts of plumbign fire sprinklers domestic. and lots of bathroom fitting and tiling.

i just want to say i am no cowboy. i do a good honest job have many happy clients. aalways wanted to be a tradesman qauls and everything. the only thing that prevented mefrom doing that were dodgy plumbing companys were sending me for them. and i see myself a very much a ppl person and heaven forbid ittobe to go in to another fellow human beings home to do a bad job.

i have now bit the bullit amshelling out for6129 at 4950 pounds. and then hopeto do 6089. i think its also about peice of mind having papers. but not all timeserved folksare bad folks some of us are only here to serve

Able Skills has devised a 5 day plumbing course, which is entirely hands on and will suit a wide variety of people across the board.
As a City & Guilds approved training centre, you can be assured that all facilities and staff in place are to the highest of standards and that we will deliver quality plumbing training to your requirements.
Able Skills has attempted to cater for all by arranging these intensive plumbing courses. Whether you are looking to complete a course for DIY purposes or considering a change of occupation, we feel that everyone’s needs can be met.
Both Kitchen and Bathroom plumbing features are covered, including learning how to cope with any emergency plumbing tasks around the house.
Plumbing Course | Plumbing Courses
I have only recently joined this forum as it appeared to me not to be tainted with commercial gain (Banner adds OK) and allowed people to post good valuable information which it still does. However, your post and first responce to it is a clear advertisement and backing of a commercial master how ever you make it look. If this forum is going to be set up to send commercial messages then say so. I understand that you are trying to earn a living from this site and I am very pleased you have set it up but don't dress up adverts with the kudos of the system administrator posting adverts you need to be seen as a passive administrator in my view. Beware forums die a death when users are bombarded with covert commercial advertisements (that's what you did) so beware people are a bit smarter than you might think! Please take this as constructive criticism and from someone who knows about forums!

And for my penny worth on the 5 day course, it is irresponsible of this so called training provider. I know as I have had to sort out DIY's problems when thay have been on these 5 day courses! as Joe DIY (sorry if you are called Joe) will be tinkering with his unvented system and blow himself up! You wait and see! All these five day courses are is a way for them to generate money and I am surprised that the UK Plumbers forum which I hope has some professional plumbers monitoring it has not pulled this type of course information. Even when I went on a 20 week Intensive full time course at The Plumbing Academy in Kent it took us 5 Days just to learn the theory of central heating let alone anything else!

I`ve just done a 5 day course so I can do minor thing`s at home.
It was rushed and intense, but if they didn`t show you much, people would complain about that.
I think it was good.

after 5 days i just had the swing of the tea round.tom no sugar/little milk,paddy 2 sugar no milk etc.
lets get something staight please
is this course advertised as being like a simple guide to easy plumbing jobs or an intense learning course for intending trades men. please tell me it s not the latter.:confused:

I did the intensive course - simple guide to easy plumbing jobs is how I took it.

Our companies apprentice has done 5 months at collage (plumbing day release) and to date I dont think he has seen a peice of pipe, It's all been health & safety so far.
Martin

Our companies apprentice has done 5 months at collage (plumbing day release) and to date I dont think he has seen a peice of pipe, It's all been health & safety so far.
Martin

when you learn a trade you will be taught the full trade and the full skills. i wouldnt complain about doing H&S, its an important aspect and part of the building blocks required before moving on

a 5 day course for teaching people basics so they can do a bit round the house is fine. But over the past few years these have been designed to exploit the many numbers of people wanting a skill to earn money. Often they are newly made redundant and look to use the money wisely learning only to be over charged for a DIY course thinking its a worthy qual.

im times eerved only no qauls but 11 years now iv been doing allsorts of plumbign fire sprinklers domestic. and lots of bathroom fitting and tiling.

mate your not time served - time served means serving your time (time as an apprentice....

Martin

find this hard to believe, its a common conception of someone who doesnt belive in qualifications that a nvq is all health and safety, most college day release is morning theory and completing the practical side of things in the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
mate your not time served - time served means serving your time (time as an apprentice....

yes a time served plumber/tradesman of any sort has completed a recognised apprenticeship with full qualifications. Sorry

Also, plumbing is a full trade in its own right, as is tiling and other trades. Often 'jobbers' will do all they can to make money taking on other aspects and jobs, I'm not saying they cannot do the job some are very good but we need to focus on a plumber is a plumber and has all the plumbing skills. Short courses are in danger of giving people single skills, like just fitting a bathroom to make money and not the other aspects of the trade. this has led to the 6129 Tec Cert being removed. All these 5 day courses are not recognised by Summitskills the sector skills council for building services engineers - look em up

find this hard to believe, its a common conception of someone who doesnt belive in qualifications that a nvq is all health and safety, most college day release is morning theory and completing the practical side of things in the afternoon.

Qplumb - we have to be careful some companies send lads to college to get them to fit jobs for them as quickly as possible, they want things like H&S to be cut short and skip right to the business end as they see it. This dont sound right for a 4 year apprenticeship and a fully qualified tradesman. Could it be the case the apprentice is struggling to do the job and therefore blames the training provider for not showing him? After all an apprentice attends college one day a week and work for 4 days a week. If the students skills are poor who is to blame?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that there aren't any old values left Iv'e been in the plumb/heating industry 47 yrs and i know i'm not the only one to date.Plumbing courses at that time were for 7 yrs takeing up one day at college and 2 nights and college type brake's in between.These 5 day jobs are to me a way for unscrupulous people to earn a quick buck, were's the old value in that, but it goe's on and people fall for it.In my opinion these type of courses should be outlawed for the sake of a trade that, in parts, is good honest and worthwhile, if you can gain the knowledge, with old value's that can't be got in 5 days all that could possibly achieve is to change a tap washer .Well my reply to this post is far on from whence it started so it could be that the resession has claimed another victim for the 5 a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 5 Day Plumbing Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock