Discuss 6 months wasted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonto33

Just wasted 6 months doing portofilo to become gas safe, paid out 2 grand to acs centre do 2 and half days there, then they check my portofilo and check the guy who been training me on the gas safe website and find that he not got enough qualifications to be doing all the jobs that we have been doing yes he gas safe done his ccn1 and commercial, but not got ckr1,htr1 as well as others so as most of my portofilo was done around cookers and fires now been told portofilo is worthless and cant do course and got start all over again.

i sympathise to a point, but who organised your portfolio, and how stupid is the gas guy to do jobs and create a paper trail dropping himself in it by proving to all that he isnt qualified, but again who organised it, if you paid someone to sort it for you then they are liable for getting you a new one, if you sorted it yourself then unfortunately it would be your responsibility to confirm you were doing work with a qualified person, the front page of the portfolio book (bpec anyway) has a sign off sheet listing the guys quals so that it is confirmed he has the right stuff to supervise you, not really sure how you resolve it as all the work already done is illegal and should be double checked by a qualified person, not your problem, really

Surely, it does not matter that the employer was not deemed as competent, because it was just training that was being offered, not assessment of competence. If judgement is made on the legality of the situation, how could an external trainer/assessor judge legality - if this was the case, then why do centres not ask for driving licence, waste licence, membership of cps schemes, etc - it would be impossible to judge total legality on what qualifications the boss has.

Provided the candidate has experience, then it is the purpose of the ACS assessment to deem them competent or not. Experience as I understand it, is at the discretion of the centre.

If we had to demark the competence of every employer or apprenticeship mentor, then there would be no apprentices. Full-time students can work for building companies and still come out with their ACS.

Soon we will have all those people with tech-certs taking on apprentices - what do we do then? Tell them they can't do the qualification because their boss isn't qualified.

For a tutor to tell you that your training is worthless is just not playing ball. I would submit a formal complaint and find out the facts about this situation - if they are excluding this for you, then they must include it for everyone else - do they?

to be honest regardless if whoever you choose to work with or get done with, always check there qualifications for appliances yourself, thats the first thing i done when i got my acs portfolio built, whatever the gsre is able to work on and you have built evidence for that appliance is all you will get, sorry to hear though.

Surely, it does not matter that the employer was not deemed as competent, because it was just training that was being offered, not assessment of competence. If judgement is made on the legality of the situation, how could an external trainer/assessor judge legality - if this was the case, then why do centres not ask for driving licence, waste licence, membership of cps schemes, etc - it would be impossible to judge total legality on what qualifications the boss has.

Provided the candidate has experience, then it is the purpose of the ACS assessment to deem them competent or not. Experience as I understand it, is at the discretion of the centre.

If we had to demark the competence of every employer or apprenticeship mentor, then there would be no apprentices. Full-time students can work for building companies and still come out with their ACS.

Soon we will have all those people with tech-certs taking on apprentices - what do we do then? Tell them they can't do the qualification because their boss isn't qualified.

For a tutor to tell you that your training is worthless is just not playing ball. I would submit a formal complaint and find out the facts about this situation - if they are excluding this for you, then they must include it for everyone else - do they?

i think the valididty of the quality of work will be questioned as the mentor has not proved competance therefore how can the assessor and/or accreditation body sign the work off as acceptable standard when they dont know if it was done to a high enough standard, therefore they wont sign it off, dont know all the facts but before we send anyone out we go over the paperwork, and TBH our placement companies know what is needed, but if anyone is sorting their own placement we make sure this scenario doesnt happen, and we check the portfolio as it is being completed, not sure about doing CCN1 only either it would depend on what work was in the portfolio that could be ring fenced as CCN1 as any fire or cooker work jobs would need to be binned, not a good situation to be in

because in training we live in the land of CYA and every candidate signs to say the portfolio is theirs and theirs alone, is 100% accurate and that the person mentoring them was there 100% of the time, the mentor signs as well, as it is too easy to buy/borrow/beg a portfolio from someone else, IF it goes on we are 100% covered, so an external assessor will have the same paperwork structure to ensure that what the candidate says he did is what he actually did, even on the plumbing visits to site that are done we can only trust the candidate to sign to say its their work, as long as have a signature when i have to trust the candidate, so in this case although the candidate has been caught short, the work cannot be passed as competant as it was supervised by an unqualified guy, the next step for the training centre is to report the guy for doing work out of scope, with all the problems that brings,
to the OP does your mentor work for a company or SE
did you organise the placement (i think you must have by the way the training centre have stepped back)

I had a recent Gas Safe inspection and the inspector wanted to look through my portfolio and took down the Gas Safe license numbers of those who had trained me.

There was no issue with myself or the quality of my work, so my only assumption is that Gas Safe are checking that new entrants are using suitably qualified mentors and not just plucking names/registration numbers out of the ether.

i want to do commercial and get comcat 1,2&3 was told best to do ccn1 and ckr1 1st the guy training me seems not to have ckr1 but has got:

• Domestic
  • Non-Domestic
Gas Type:
  • LPG
  • Natural Gas
Domestic area of work: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/#...s_rptResults_ctl08_treeDomestic_tree_SkipLink
Gas Boiler

Central Heating DOM LPG

Central Heating DOM NG

Pipework

Flue Liners

Pipework DOM NG (CORE)

Pipework PD DOM LPG

Caravan

Pipework RPH Caravans LPG (CORE)

Vented Cyl

Vented Cylinders

Non-domestic area of work: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/#...ptResults_ctl08_treeNonDomestic_tree_SkipLink
catering
Commercial Catering Fat & Pressure Fryers LPG

Commercial Catering Fat & Pressure Fryers NG

Commercial Catering Pressure/Expansion Boilers LPG

Commercial Catering Pressure/Expansion Boilers NG

Commercial Catering Range Cookers LPG

Commercial Catering Range Cookers NG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6 months wasted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock