Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss 6129 qualification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

850Rick

How do training centres manage to pass people in such a short time when it took me two years of intensive training?there was loads of exams and modules practical work and a lot of theory to take in.Even if it was full time it's hard pressed to do it in a year

I did the same but 6 hours week. Can't really call it intense unless your in college 5 days a week.

I did the same but 6 hours week. Can't really call it intense unless your in college 5 days a week.
Hi mate how did you cope with your exams lol that's a lot to do.would you call your self a trade plumber?

I can't call myself a fully qualified plumber without at least the nvq 2. I'm currently on the bpec gas foundation course and that is heavy.

To cope with the 6129 it's easy.
I write down every point the tutor makes in te theory classes. Better to have your own notes than just the book. I tend to take things in better if I write them down. I spent a lot of time reading this forum at the same time which put what I learned in college into real scenarios.
The practical is easy enough. It can be about confidence when it comes to practical exams. Don't dither around too much. Just measure and whack it on the wall. Get your bends done in one attempt.

I can't call myself a fully qualified plumber without at least the nvq 2. I'm currently on the bpec gas foundation course and that is heavy.

To cope with the 6129 it's easy.
I write down every point the tutor makes in te theory classes. Better to have your own notes than just the book. I tend to take things in better if I write them down. I spent a lot of time reading this forum at the same time which put what I learned in college into real scenarios.
The practical is easy enough. It can be about confidence when it comes to practical exams. Don't dither around too much. Just measure and whack it on the wall. Get your bends done in one attempt.
Do you work for yourself

Not sure what your asking. I did the 6129. Then separately I'm on the bpec gas foundation. Anybody can go on the bpec providing you can prove a bit of general competence and have a gas engineer to gain evidence with.
Basically someone who has never picked up a screwdriver probably won't get on it.

It's not going to teach me how to be a breakdown engineer, just how to work safely with gas. There is as always a long way to go to be where I want to be

Not sure what your asking. I did the 6129. Then separately I'm on the bpec gas foundation. Anybody can go on the bpec providing you can prove a bit of general competence and have a gas engineer to gain evidence with.
Basically someone who has never picked up a screwdriver probably won't get on it.

It's not going to teach me how to be a breakdown engineer, just how to work safely with gas. There is as always a long way to go to be where I want to be
I was told at college you couldn't even touch gas unless you had a min level 2 nvq and level 3 6035.are the colleges trying to **** here or what?

Colleges are there to make money. If I do the bpec gas foundation then I can sit the acs. Then get on the gas register.
There are a lot of gas men with little or no knowledge o plumbing. There are workers for the councils that get sent on these courses with no previous plumbing training.

That's just the trouble with colleges and training centres. Their not schools. They are not there for your benifit. They are business's. and often enough they will tell you the bits you want to hear so you sign up and hand over a lot of money

Colleges are there to make money. If I do the bpec gas foundation then I can sit the acs. Then get on the gas register.
There are a lot of gas men with little or no knowledge o plumbing. There are workers for the councils that get sent on these courses with no previous plumbing training.
What annoys me is there is people who go school then college then uni to do a qual to be a architect for example.they leave uni having never done any work but get there job as the architect with no experience but decent pay.so how does that work getting a job with no experience,where is there nvq,there work on site experience?.

Rick stop worrying about the NVQ it's a piece of paper at the end of the day. I have the 6129 and agreed this qualification does not prove you are a plumber it proves you have BASIC theoretical knowledge of plumbing systems. What you want is experience alongside an experienced plumber learn as much as you can!

Rick stop worrying about the NVQ it's a piece of paper at the end of the day. I have the 6129 and agreed this qualification does not prove you are a plumber it proves you have BASIC theoretical knowledge of plumbing systems. What you want is experience alongside an experienced plumber learn as much as you can!
Do you work for yourself?is the 6129 a trade certificate.

The 6129 is nothing really. The nvq2 is the lowest form of qual that currently recognises you as a plumber. Like it has been said. It's a piece of paper. If you, I and a thousand ppl have a piece of paper.....what use is it if your soldering looks like c r a p. it's quality of work that you want. I'm not saying you don't need quals. I'm just saying you need to be good. And if you are good, then without the proper quals, you can get away with it. Experience is what counts.

For instance on my bpec if you have an nvq2 you only need 40 days experience with a GSR for port folio.
Without you need 110 days.
So basically I need 110 days. There's a lad with nvq on my course who is no better than I but he still only needs 40 days exp. and it's only because he has the nvq portfolio with a few nice pics of him smiling on front of a radiator. Doesn't mean he will be a better gas man than me though does it.

In my opinion with plumbing you get out what you put in.
Ie. I did 6129 but every night I was on this forum learning as much as I could from the very helpful folk on here. Without bragging I ended up with a much better understanding and a vaster knowledge than the others on my course.

What do you mean trade certificate? And I do a little bit for myself but I'm starting work for a plumber next month and I plan to learn learn and learn as much as I can. There is nothing stoping you go out tomorrow buying a van and a bunch of tools it's just knowing what to do. I know people with the 6129 qualification that went self employed and now are registered gassafe plumbers.

What about all the builders whe do plumbing electrics tiling plastering carpentry brickwork landscaping window fitting etc.... Do they have all the quals. Once again I'm not saying its right. It's just how it is. All that dodgy plumbing you see is builders, un clipped plastic pipe bouncing around under the bath. Flexi hoses looking like octopuses under the sink. And lovely compression fittings under floorboards. Has anyone asked them if their qualified before they started the job. At least you will know right from wrong.

Also I read level 3 plumbing books. I do anything to gain a better plumbing knowledge.

What do you mean trade certificate? And I do a little bit for myself but I'm starting work for a plumber next month and I plan to learn learn and learn as much as I can. There is nothing stoping you go out tomorrow buying a van and a bunch of tools it's just knowing what to do. I know people with the 6129 qualification that went self employed and now are registered gassafe plumbers.
What I mean by a trade certificate is certificate to say you can work in the trade.

What about all the builders whe do plumbing electrics tiling plastering carpentry brickwork landscaping window fitting etc.... Do they have all the quals. Once again I'm not saying its right. It's just how it is. All that dodgy plumbing you see is builders, un clipped plastic pipe bouncing around under the bath. Flexi hoses looking like octopuses under the sink. And lovely compression fittings under floorboards. Has anyone asked them if their qualified before they started the job. At least you will know right from wrong.

Also I read level 3 plumbing books. I do anything to gain a better plumbing knowledge.
That's a good answer that mate I like it

There is no such thing as a "trade certificate" there's what known as a CSCS card which you NEED for big site work like housing estates and I have no intention in getting a CSCS because I haven't got the NVQ which you need for site work and also site work does not appeal to me bashing houses in on price tools and other tradesmen in your way and how all your tools suddenly disappear and shiny new drill battery's get replaced by plastered covered old ones! The NVQ is just a glorified technical certificate it means you have done the theory the same as the tech cert but you have also hung a rad and some hot and cold installs the thing that counts the most on the NVQ is the hours upon hours of learning along a plumber and that's what I plan to do just without the NVQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no such thing as a "trade certificate" there's what known as a CSCS card which you NEED for big site work like housing estates and I have no intention in getting a CSCS because I haven't got the NVQ which you need for site work and also site work does not appeal to me bashing houses in on price tools and other tradesmen in your way and how all your tools suddenly disappear and shiny new drill battery's get replaced by plastered covered old ones! The NVQ is just a glorified technical certificate it means you have done the theory the same as the tech cert but you have also hung a rad and some hot and cold installs the thing that counts the most on the NVQ is the hours upon hours of learning along a plumber and that's what I plan to do just without the NVQ.
well said mate the thing is I plan to move to Australia with in ten years

Anybody can get a cscs card, just go sit the h and s test. Your occupation isn't important on the card. Mines just general operative and I've got 2 nvq's. They are just evidence you work in the trade, the plumber I worked with only had an old army certificate and it never stopped him

So the site agent wouldn't ask why the general site operatives are fitting boilers?

Very hard to move to Australia would probley take you years and a lot of money I'm afraid.

So the site agent wouldn't ask why the general site operatives are fitting boilers?

Well put it like this, a cscs card is just a formality. I also have confined spaces, thats not on my card either? And the site agent knows who he takes on, half the time they never see a card, it's just the number to verify. Also a cscs card doesn't make you a plumber. That's what a jib pmes card is for, also you could apply for a trainee card...

Well I know someone who moved over there last year. He was trying for years and spent a lot of money. Also you have to prove you have enought money to survive when trying to find work when you first get there without having to rely on state benifits also you have to pay health insurance.

Some good info here mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6129 qualification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock