Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss A boiler question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a radiator installed and noticed that the installer didn't turn the boiler switch. As the system had been drained of water can I expect problems with my boiler? (Worried).

Think you need to edit your post re boiler switch to give the guys a clue.
On - Off
Up - Down
Left - Right

In all my days I have never come accross a 'boiler switch' it sounds like a really good thing but I do not know what it might do. Why dont you have some confidence in the engineer you chose to carry out the work --- honestly does the system start and work ? centralheatking

Why did the installer not switch it on to test what hed done ??

The boiler shouldnt fire if pressure is low , and depending on make n model some need reset and others reset themselves once pressure is established so should be ok,

I did a similar thing few months ago. Bleeded the radiators (after watching a youtube video) without thinking twice about the boiler. Boiler went to lock out mode, had to call an electrician who had to reset it and get the pressure level up.

You may need to check where your water connection to the boiler is and open it slightly so the pressure can increase within the limits. If its too low, reset wont work. But adjust the water slightly as the pressure goes up quickly when water flows. You may need two people - one to adjust the water flow and other to shout when the pressure starts to increase. Also please read a lot about your boiler before you do any of this.

I am still suffering the consequence and now having to install a new boiler altogether. alll because i bled the radiator stupidly without thinking of the boiler.

I did a similar thing few months ago. Bleeded the radiators (after watching a youtube video) without thinking twice about the boiler. Boiler went to lock out mode, had to call an electrician who had to reset it and get the pressure level up.

You may need to check where your water connection to the boiler is and open it slightly so the pressure can increase within the limits. If its too low, reset wont work. But adjust the water slightly as the pressure goes up quickly when water flows. You may need two people - one to adjust the water flow and other to shout when the pressure starts to increase. Also please read a lot about your boiler before you do any of this.

I am still suffering the consequence and now having to install a new boiler altogether. alll because i bled the radiator stupidly without thinking of the boiler.

Got to agree !!

if you need a new boiler just for letting the water pressure drop someone is pulling your leg

if you need a new boiler just for letting the water pressure drop someone is pulling your leg

I managed to get the electrician to help me sort the water pressure issue. His son was a gas engineer and they both helped resolve it. However, the problem with the boiler started after bleeding the radiator. It was working before even though it was an ~14 year old Glowworm 80e. We have only had it for a year and it seemed fine for that whole year.

The auto ignition didnt work all summer and i had to tap on the boiler to get it started. It started off occassionally when there was long gap between ho****er/heater usage. Then it was pretty much everyday, it needed a big bang on it to get it started (while the tap was running). Then my guest/friend broke the timer as they didn't know that they had to tap the boiler, so messed about with the timer and broke it. I fixed it temporarily however a big bang on it every day meant that the broken timer got off loose. Paid for a GSR to look at it, they did a service on it and said the PCB is probably on its last legs along with two values. Asked for another GSR's second opinion. Same conclusion. They suggested its not worth spending about 465 for fixing the Glow worm.. so here i am..

all started with diy enthusiasm and ensuring that the rads are bled and economical.

guess what i should have paid a tradesman who knows the stuff to do it. My glowworm would have probably lasted 20 yrs!

It's not turning on now (ignition doesnt start) no matter what. It's been nearly 3 months now! We stopped tapping and banging to get it to work. Occassionally i do feel like continuing with hitting it hard perhaps to let out my frustration! ;-)

I'm not certain that he didn't turn off the boiler. I'm just saying that I didn't think he did and am worried about possible consequences.
just asking for advice chaps in case I have any problems in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A boiler question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock