Search the forum,

Discuss AAV Access Problem Built into cupboard in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks
I live in 2 bedroom bungalow and question is about the soil pipe my plumber/bathroom fitter boxed into the corner base unit he fitted.

Question is the AAV seems as though its going to be a pig to access if needed
I notice that white plastic connector further down the soil pipe, would that be maybe separated in situ, so that top half could be pulled down to get the AAV? Not sure what wriggle room there would be?

Reason why I am looking at this was because noticed bit of a musty/sweaty sock type smell in cupboard next to this, and pulled the kicker board off to inspect the area, noticed a little damp but not plumbing related, no leaks anywhere, was wondering if the AAV could in anyway emit any smells?

Strangely, as a simple test I put some dettol down the loo, then went to the area where soil stack was and could smell dettol although no wet areas after thorough check.

Any advice very much appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 23
from what i can see ,,,is water that has run down the wall at the back of the pipe(soil) and gone black near the joint of the 4"
no 2 whats the copper pipe coming out of the plaster....its not wrapped.

Is the aav area vented ? As a cold bathroom and hot drain pipe air could cause that ?

from what i can see ,,,is water that has run down the wall at the back of the pipe(soil) and gone black near the joint of the 4"
no 2 whats the copper pipe coming out of the plaster....its not wrapped.
Well spotted mate, Can't blame you for thinking it was copper pipe, it looks like it, its actually a rusty nail knocked into the wall
What appears to be wet marks on plaster is just a tone difference on plaster, could even be pva from previous tiling, definitely not wet, checked every inch of the area no damp.
You're spot on though it certainly looks like that in photo.

However there are copper pipes throughout the other cupboards un wrapped, which I will be addressing
Thanks mate

No mate no venting round there, would the drain pipe be hot, its just the loo that's connected, not seen any condensation in that area

Needs to be vented / air flow so high and low vents and yes as it’s underground they stay warm so when the aav is in operation warm air can be expelled etc

Needs to be vented / air flow so high and low vents and yes as it’s underground they stay warm so when the aav is in operation warm air can be expelled etc
Thanks mate, this bit in the photo is where that soil pipe goes underground and out to drain, you can just see where the soil pipe from loo connects
So most is over ground, and above ground soil pipe seems same temp as everything else in cupboard
PS take no notice of that white fluff, not mould just bit of stray foam cavity insulation, also black bits just greasy marks on pipe (60 year old house )

Attachments

• IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 17
to me (not saying i"m right) the connection to the main pipe look damaged as has or still has a leak at the bottom? in photo above

Tha
to me (not saying i"m right) the connection to the main pipe look damaged as has or still has a leak at the bottom? in photo above
Thanks mate,
Do you mean where the toilet pipe (White) connects to the gray pipe?
I guess you are thinking a leak due to the render around there looking darker grey, I thought that at first but it has been like that for a while and is dry to the touch with no smell or mould on it

Last edited:

Reply to AAV Access Problem Built into cupboard in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock