Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss About time too in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tamz

Just had this email from gas safe, guess all you guys will get it to. It is not before time they did something like this.
We are expected to work to a standard but the standard is a secret unless you can shell out major money.

Access to normative standards and documents for smaller Gas Safe registered businesses

Following the groundbreaking agreement between BSI, IGEM and UKLPG to provide smaller businesses with access to the essential industry standards all Gas Safe registered businesses must work to, work has been underway to develop a simple subscription system to bring these documents to engineers.

A number of industry groups and individuals have lobbied for many years to bring down the costs, particularly for smaller businesses and sole traders. It has been estimated that a complete set of all the current industry standards could cost up to £17,000, putting them out of reach for many smaller businesses. By agreeing to reduce the costs for smaller businesses it is hoped this will make it easier for individual engineers to access this essential information.

Gas Safe Register has been asked to host the system on its website as we can provide a secure environment and have systems in place to manage payments. Testing has now been completed and the system is now available to access:

What is available?
More than 80 individual essential Standards documents (32 IGEM, 36 BSI, 16 UKLPG) covering domestic, commercial and industrial gas installations are available on the system. As new standards are issued they will be added to the database.

Where can I find it?
To subscribe to the system, log into your online account at:
www.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/engineers using your User ID and password. Click on ‘Standards Subscriptions’ on the left hand side of the page. You will then be taken through the subscription and payment options.

What can I do with the documents?
Documents can be read on screen on the secure website or they can be printed. Electronic copies cannot be saved to your hard drive – this is partly to reduce the risk of pirating but also to ensure that the version you see is always up to date.

What does this cost?
You can subscribe from £75.00 per year if your business has 1 – 5 engineers. (If you subscribe for three years the cost is £180.00)
If your business has 6 -10 engineers then a subscription is £150 per year (or £360 for three years)

A full FAQ on the Access to Standards scheme is available on the website.

Yours sincerely

Simon Ayers
Gas Safe Register

thats fair enough but why should we still pay for it?we already pay our registration fees and overpriced training this information should be free to every rgi

You have a very valid point Mark but at least it is a start. After all if we were builders we would have free access to all the building regs etc.
I hope they update them all soon because i have spent a not so small fortune on them over the years.
I especially like this bit
Electronic copies cannot be saved to your hard drive – this is partly to reduce the risk of pirating but also to ensure that the version you see is always up to date.
Want a bet:smiley2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I found that bit strange too. How can you print it off and not be able to save it to hard disk? And reducing the risk of piracy?? Whats to stop printing it off and scanning it in the pc as a pdf. Hey presto, electronic copy.. Or am i missing something?. Anyone subscribed yet?

I probably will because i need them and there are a few important ones i don't have.

I especially like this bit
Electronic copies cannot be saved to your hard drive – this is partly to reduce the risk of pirating but also to ensure that the version you see is always up to date.

I would argue this is to wholly reduce piracy. They are allowing printing of hard copies ... what, hard copies don't go out of date?

It is a step in the right direction, but still leaves a bit to be desired. Personally, I prefer my local library's web-based access to British Standards. Can't print 'em but at least I can carry them in PDF on site on my iPhone and other devices.

Sorry Tamz I hadnt realised that you had already started a thread on this but I am afraid I am total agreement with you, also how many of you engineers have had letters about the following
Competence Review 2010/2011
Information validation workshops in July 2011
DearSome of the registered businesses may have already received this email, if so, please ignore it. As you may be aware, Gas Safe Register is facilitating a review into the current competence requirements for gas registration. Last autumn we carried out information gathering workshops around the country and, from the gathered feedback, we designed and launched a survey available online which helped us gather even more views. Thank you to those who attended the workshops, those who sent us their comments and those who filled in the survey already - your input is appreciated.The survey has now closed and we are beginning the process of interpreting the responses and gathering them into key themes. As part of this process we are also keen to ‘play back’ some of these initial findings to those in the industry and to validate the areas for further investigation. We will also ask you this time, what solutions you would suggest to improve the current ACS system.The dates and venues for the workshops are:
DATE
VENUE
TIME

04/07/2011

Energy & Utility Skills Limited, Friars Gate, 1011 Stratford Road, Shirley, Solihull, B90 4BN
4pm – 7pm

05/07/2011

Logic Certification, Unit 2, 1 Rowdell Road NORTHOLT Middlesex UB5 5QR

4pm – 7pm

07/07//2011
Gas Flare,
Unit 3, Foundry Lane, Fishponds Industrial Estate, Fishponds,Bristol, BS5 7XH

4pm – 7pm

11/07/2011

Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport, Abbotsinch, Paisley PA3 2TE, United Kingdom

4pm – 7pm
12/07/2011
Natural Gas Training Centre, Nelson Way, Nelson Ind Estate, Cramlington, Northumberland, NE23

4 p.m.-7 p.m.

13/07/2011

Ravenheat, Chartists Way
Morley
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS27 9ET

4pm – 7pm

18/07/2011
Gas Safe Register, 200 Cedarwood, Chineham Business Park, Crockford Lane, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG24 8WD

4pm – 7pm
21/07/2011
Coleg Glan Hafren
Trowbridge Campus
Trowbridge Road
Rumney
Cardiff
CF3 1XZ

4 p.m. - 7 p.m.

If you would like to attend please reply by 30 June, advising the date and the venue you are able to attend and we will then send confirmations and agendas out in due course. You can reply via: [DLMURL="http://uk.mc290.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=competencereview@User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk"]competencereview@User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk[/DLMURL],or by post:Competence Review c/o Gas Safe RegisterPO BOX 6804BasingstokeRG24 4NB Space is likely to be limited so we will allocate people on a first serve, first come basis.We are aware that not everyone will be able to attend, however we are still very interested in hearing your viewpoints and would encourage you to send your comments to us. We look forward to seeing you, Yours sincerely Simon AyersGas Safe Register

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated. All copyright in any Capita material in this email is reserved.

All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Capita and monitored for legitimate business purposes.

Capita exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to About time too in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock