Discuss Access to manhole on neighbours property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monks

I am considering changing my kitchen to the front of my house. The problem I have is that the shared waste pipe I will need to connect to is on my neighbours side (including the nearest manhole). He is an awkward :nono: so I foresee problems. If I need the water company to gain access to connect up can he refuse to let them in? If so can I instead 'Y' into the pipes on the road beyond the manhole? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering changing my kitchen to the front of my house. The problem I have is that the shared waste pipe I will need to connect to is on my neighbours side (including the nearest manhole). He is an awkward :nono: so I foresee problems. If I need the water company to gain access to connect up can he refuse to let them in? If so can I instead 'Y' into the pipes on the road beyond the manhole? Thanks in advance.

Are the sewers on his side private or public? If it's public you can only connect to them with permission from the water company. Your builder can do this on your behalf. Your local council/ water company should have sewer records. If they're private then ask building regulations. Since installing sewers involves taking up his garden he may not agree.

A new sewer line , connecting to a shared or public sewer, will need the agreement of your neighbour. He has something of value, that you want, and you should be prepared to offer something in return. Calculate the additional cost of alternative route as an indication of what his agreement is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Access to manhole on neighbours property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks...
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016...
Replies
Views
Back