Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice needed, two days and counting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

migstrike

Plumbing courses, I tried posting this earlier and I'm not entirely sure where it went. So please bare with me for having to type this twice:mad:

I have recently decided to do a plumbing course. I'am getting a little bemused with my chosen venue. Access2tradecareers is the centre I have lumped for, but earlier I simply flicked through the tilers forum (my next step after getting plumbing qualified) and I'm now having doubts. Complaints on that forum are sounding very familiar, I'm contacted daily with the same line that they will only reserve my place for 14 days due to over subscription, but I really can't understand this as how can a predominently distant learning course be over subscribed. It's like if I don't decide by THIS monday there will be no going back and no place will be made available. I've only chosen the centre due to the credit agreements they have in place and I have found courses locally that appear to offer far more for far less, but I can't afford the £3k up front and I'm begining to wonder whether I'm being backed into a corner.

Is this common of all plumbing centres? Has anyone trained there? Got a job off the back of the training? Was the training any good? Do you feel confident? Any alternatives?

Seriously, genuine answers only please as my nails are short enough.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I've not used your training school of choice so I am not in a position to comment. However, I did the VIY training course. VIY also had a credit agreement with a buy now pay later thing.

As you've not asked directly about VIY I will leave it there but if you want any further info please come back and I will help if I can.

You should be able to get a career development loan for up front cash. If you are not 100% sure , which you are not , do not do the course .

You should be able to get a career development loan for up front cash. If you are not 100% sure , which you are not , do not do the course .

i agree with the above, if in doubt go without, i used t4t skills (who use atl for practicals) i felt confident with them but know i have a long road ahead

think carefully there is no longer a shortage of plumbers and there is now a shortage of any jobs so the vacancies are being filled by experienced guys who are struggling to make a living
plumbing was sold as the golden goose by the training centres and still is but the reality is far different
try doing a post to see how many recent 6129 qualified new guys are now struggling to get the vital expereince you cannot get from a course
you need the help of a skilled plumber to turn you from a diy plumber to a tradesman
electricians and plasterers are however in short supply so think very carefully before parting with hard earned cash on the promise of future riches from a training company

think carefully there is no longer a shortage of plumbers and there is now a shortage of any jobs so the vacancies are being filled by experienced guys who are struggling to make a living
plumbing was sold as the golden goose by the training centres and still is but the reality is far different
try doing a post to see how many recent 6129 qualified new guys are now struggling to get the vital expereince you cannot get from a course
you need the help of a skilled plumber to turn you from a diy plumber to a tradesman
electricians and plasterers are however in short supply so think very carefully before parting with hard earned cash on the promise of future riches from a training company

Excellent post ;)

:):):) Thanks for the advice!!!:):) very welcome!!!:) I haven't jumped in!!! I've Bottled it or whatever, and I will be looking elsewhere. I somehow dont think that's the end of it on their behalf though, but it is on mine. I looked a bit deeper into their background (following threads from tilers forum) and they are an Israeli capital investment company or something trading under anglo capital limited so they have a fabulous plumbing pedigree..d. I watched the film Snatch last night and that bit when they bought the caravan from the campsite just summed the situation up really. Once you've handed over your money and the wheels come off, well that's that.
Thanks for the mention of various centres, VIY, first time I've seen that site so thanks for that, impressive, they look like they offer good value courses, offering far more than my close shave and at a fraction of the price but it's just a shame that it is in Leeds, as I'm in Birmingham. I'm not sure I could commit to stay away for 10 weeks, which is a shame but I will contact them anyway, you never know.
Future riches, again it's all beginning to sound very familiar now. I want a training centre to sell me a course based on the training, but most of them have ended up trying to sell me the dream.
I've recently tried the career development loan and the problem there was my chosen lender, Barclays, are not lending/backing anything to do with construction/building, apparantly due to the house building and buy to let slump, or so I was told. I'm looking to work more on home repairs side really as building sites don't appeal to me at all. Maybe it would have been better to have visited the co-op which I may just do next.

I appreciate the advice, especially about the plastering etc and I'll keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed, two days and counting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock