Discuss Advice on quitting or staying in current job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

81ll

Gas Engineer
I am a gas safe engineer with little experience in the industry. I can do servicing, CP12's, basic fitting work and very minimal fault finding.

To progress my career I started working for a company & have been there for 3 months. Issue is I Spend 95% of my time servicing which is getting boring. I have asked to do more and am told I am to slow fitting and will get to do fault finding but nothing is changing.

i am now thinking I will give it 6 months and then move on if nothing changes.

What would you guys out there recommend I do.

Stay if you wanna stay or go if you wanna go, at the end of the day only you will know.

Theres a song in there somewhere :)

As rpm said, nobody can make or direct you into a decision other than yourself.

You have only been there 3 months though.

My concern about leaving is I won't have any support if I come across jobs I'm struggling with.

i don't want to quit then find out this is what it like in the industry e.g. Companies get you to do simple stuff then start developing you after you've been there for 6 months...

what I wanted to understand is have other ppl been in this position

My concern about leaving is I won't have any support if I come across jobs I'm struggling with.

i don't want to quit then find out this is what it like in the industry e.g. Companies get you to do simple stuff then start developing you after you've been there for 6 months...

no company wants to develop you. They want to earn from you. Work is boring. It's not all bored lonely housewives and yummy mummy's. You've been there 3 months. It wasn't that long ago that you were worried about finding a job. They've given you a foot in the door. Stick it out for at least anther 6 months.

Personally I`ve had loads of jobs where the interview hasn`t lived up in real life and I`ve given it six months but kept an eye out for other jobs at the same time. One company offered me a big pay rise when I quit but I stll quit telling them "What`s to say you wont do it to me again?"

In a previous life I worked on a production line. Sat picking up 4 glass vials, looking at them, pulling out anything dodgy and then putting them down on a different conveyor. Did this for two months before the team manager dragged me in the office to tell me I looked miserable in my work. I had transferred into the department so that I could stay on shifts. I asked him if there was a problem with my work, there wasnt. I explained that I dont need to sit there for 8 hours with a cheesy smile on my face to do a good job. After all I was only there for the money. Well he thought that my attitude was bad for saying that. I told him he was either a liar or a very sad individual if he was there for anything different. The next day my training started on the machines, then in the sterile areas etc.

Get stuck into your boss or supervisor, but, could you handle him turning round saying no chance cos youre not good enough? Not saying youre not though.

It wasn't that long ago that you were worried about finding a job. They've given you a foot in the door. Stick it out for at least anther 6 months.

Didn`t realise that AP, with that knowledge I now say stay!

Just remember as well. If you do move on then you will be the newbie again. The newbie always gets the crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on quitting or staying in current job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock