Discuss Air/gas getting into hot water system?? Help please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jackie H

Hi, I’m hoping for some advice/ideas. I have a sealed gas central heating system. The boiler is a Baxi and is about 3 years old. I have a vented indirect hot water tank which is probably about 15 years old. I have hot water and heating. My issue is gas (air?) getting into the radiators and causing a really obvious gurgling sound. I can bleed the rads and 2 days later I’ve got the problem again. I’ve just had the pump replaced (albeit it with a good 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand replacement rather than new one) and the system drained down and refilled with fresh inhibitor, but no change. I’ve got toilet paper round every rad valve and no sign of any leaks. I’ve also tried a nail in water from the radiators even before the drain down and there was no sign of any corrosion. I’ve put a plastic bag to see if I can catch anything from the expansion tank safety valve, but no water collected (seems to have blown up a bit, just from getting hot?). The only clue I have is that it seems to be a problem caused by the hot water not the radiators – over the summer the pressure in the system seemed to rise (and that rise was maintained even after the weather turned and the air temp dropped) when the water was on but the heating was off. Also, I’ve now programmed the system so the water and heating times don’t overlap. That seems to have solved the symptoms – ie I don’t have air getting into the rads anymore. I’m not happy with it though because it can’t be right and I’d rather fix it. I could get a new hot water tank put in obviously, but that’s expensive and I’d want to be fairly confident that would fix the problem. I’ve spoken to 3 plumbers (one of whom did the pump for me) who don’t really understand it….Help anyone?? Thanks….

the level of inhibitor might not be enough to stop the rads corroding you need to get the correct amount in your system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air/gas getting into hot water system?? Help please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock