Discuss Air vent query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Morning all I hope you've all recovered from the Christmas excesses

I have been going over to see a little old lady and servicing her open vented boiler for the last four or five years now.

Ventilation has always been spot on and the boiler works really well because it's been serviced every year bar one since she's had it.

I turned up yesterday and she had a cupboard in front of the vents in her bedroom. Now I have always explained to her what these vents are for and to her credit she had instructed her home help to ensure that the cupboard was a good 4-5 inches off the wall.

I've checked in my literature to see what it says about this and it seems to only mention if the vent is physically blocked or covered so that no air can get in. Is this situation acceptable The boiler itself works absolutely fine but I just wanted to check. It's nice to meet a customer that actually wants to do things the right way

Cheers and happy New Year

Matt

Home help is bound to push it back. I used to look after a little old lady who had a temperamental system. Her home help always used to turn the stat down too far despite her telling them not to and me leaving notes. Ended up fitting the type that you could set maximum and minimum temps in.

She only lived down the road from me, never charged her for those visits except a cup of tea which I'd make for us both.

I would say it's ok as you have a vent that's not blocked, right size and its allowing air in.

Thank you both, that was my thinking too as ultimately it is only about air ingress it doesn't matter if it has to change direction. Point noted regarding the home help though croppie

Ye measure free air through cupboard to check. Air vents in bedroom, where's the open flued boiler?

In a cupboard just next to her bedroom

if your worried about them pushing it back put two pieces of 4 x 2 on the wall top and bottom of the air vent (if they push it back they would hit the timbers) thats aslong as your tests are ok

Tests are fine mate. Always have been

Tests are fine mate. Always have been

with the cupboard in place as well?

if yes do what i said your covered then

Had this in a residential home, OF boiler in middle of property, could not find a air vent anywhere, owner was away , staff had no idea but been passed every year, owner back next day so went round to see him about vent, it was behind a large painting, asked CORGI at the time and was told it was ok as air could still get around painting as long as it was not fixed back to wall and was hanging on cord (slightly away from wall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air vent query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I was hoping you could help with a potential boiler build query for my father. He has recently had a new boiler installed via British...
Replies
Views
Dear professionals, could someone kindly advise on per below issue, please let me know if more pictures or details needed. I think my Auto Air...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock