Search the forum,

Discuss Alterations for a twin wall oil fired fue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Being a "townie" I am GSR but never really have anything to do with oil.

Looked at a job for a builder before Xmas which is a 2nd storey extension, so my involvement is extra rads, move and add a cylinder, and fit a bth/shower room.

There's an oil fired boiler there with a twin wall flue passing through the single storey roof, which is where the second storey is being added, so the flue needs extending through another floor & out through the new roof. (it may need to offset at 1st floor level to achieve this).

Didn't take a lot of notice of the boiler and flue size as I didn't think I would be involved, so bit of a guess at flue size but external diameter was about 8" or 9".

Do you need to be OFTEC to undertake this work?, and if so does anyone want to hazard a guess at a ballpark figure for doing this?

I know it's a bit of "how longs a ball of string" but I'm a bit late getting figures in & the builder wants to submit his estimate. Quite happy to get the experts in or do it myself if thats legit.

Thanks

As you are not sure what you are doing, you will need to get someone to check it over anyhow.
The height of the flue is limited to a certain max length, depending on what output oil boiler is, if it was a condensing type. It may be worth the owner considering having everything prepared for a condensing boiler, or fit one now, if it is a standard efficiency boiler there now.
I reckon you will need local building control approval, so if I were you I would ring them & ask. You really should get an oftec guy to have looked it over & helped you with the oil part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alterations for a twin wall oil fired fue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have an almost 1 year old SaniCompact Comfort wall-hung toilet which has worked flawlessly until about a month ago. The last couple of times it was used, it made a loud noise and acted like it didn't want to flush. I guessed that it might be time to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the central heating but not for hot water and sometimes the other way round, so it's probably just luck as to when it does decide to work[?]. When there's...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock