Discuss Am I being dumb or is this a thing? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m not a heating engineer but I’m fairly knowledgeable on the way systems work. But I have come across an issue which I’m wondering is common.

Earlier this year I had a fully licensed engineer install a new baxi combi in a property I’m doing some work on. Great job done without any problems.

Last week the owner mentioned that the shower (which is a aqualisa with a conversion box fitted to work with the new combi boiler) wasn’t getting hot.

I thought it was “user error” but having spent some time their today I cannot get it to run hot. I thought it might be the conversion box from aqualisa but the other shower which is a standard mixer unit is the same.

When I investigated further, I can get hot water out of the sink taps but as soon as I put the bath on full, the hot water drops to “quite hot”. The actual temperature that the boiler shows is 60 degrees when the sink taps are on but only 51 when the bath or shower taps are fully on.

It would seem that the boiler isn’t strong enough to heat a large enough volume of water to feed the bath or shower if the water temperature coming in from outside is too cold. And with current outdoor temperatures about freezing, this is a problem.

Or as I said, am I being dumb?

Is the box rated for high pressure/ combi system ?

Bath taps are full bore especially if there older style and they won’t get 60 dc hot water out due to need a 40 kw plus boiler

What’s the kw of the boiler now ?

It heats the house fine and before this spell of cold weather the hot water was fine too it seems that the system struggles to heat up very cold incoming mains pressure water and push it through at a high temperature.

Is this a common thing?

Reply to Am I being dumb or is this a thing? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock