Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Amateur bathroom installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamesbak

Hi guys,

I've been left in a stick situation by my plumber. The job started as new central heating for the house but upon starting works it was discovered that all piping was lead and needed replacing. This has now been done including new pipework to water main and central heating off a combi.
I am also having a new kitchen fitted so first fix has been done for that.

The problem is that I thought that the old copper piping in the bathroom would be plumbed back in so that i can just fit the new bathroom to existing pipework and maybe run a pipe from the bath to a shower (not electric). Unfortunately it turns out that the plumber didn't quote for that (through my builder so never actually spoke to him directly) and Unfortunately it turns out that the plumber didn't quote for that (through my builder so never actually spoke to him directly) and I was never told.

This means that to get a bathroom in again before Christmas I'll have to do it myself or try to pay someone "emergency" rates to get it installed.

The plumber has left a cold and hot feed terminated under the floor under the WC in the bathroom for me to work from but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Looking at articles on the internet it seems I can just run off pipes using t-connectors, connect to existing wastes and Robert's your father's brother or more precisely no-one says what you can't do only "connect up the hot water feed".

Am I missing something or would it be this simple? Can you run a WC, basin, bath and shower off a single hot water feed and single cold water feed?
Is there some fancy jiggery-pokery I need to do to ensure correct flow?

I read that I should install isolator valves for each tap, etc. to be able to easily maintain, anything else I should consider?

I'm planning to just use push-fit style connectors and plastic pipe for the job to avoid any welding or soldering. I assume it will be possible to connect to the metal taps etc. with plastic pipes.

I know these are fairly basic questions but I thought it best to ask the experts as I only have tonight to figure out what to do before making a start and I don't want to be swimming into my new kitchen.

Cheers in advance guys,

James

Why emergency rates? Most plumbers can install a basic bathroom in 1-2 days tops. Why not ask for one of the local forum members to come round?

james if you put your location i'm sure there will be a member near you who could advise

only emergency rates because i need it done in the next three days. everyone says they are too busy but could cover it in emergency hours i.e. evenings.
Live in Exeter.
Happy to have a crack as off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Just need some pointers to start or at least point me at the right documentation.

unless you're really DIY savvy and it looks very straightforward or you're desperately poor i'd recommned not doing it yourself. plumbers who are very experienced and do such things hundreds of times a year would still refer to their job as hard and frequently problematic.

sorry where you live m8 would have come a droped a book off for ya or give you a good price to do it and it would not have been emergancy rates but i bet there another plumber on here closer whom may help. Also have a look on bQ website they have information leaflets to download on installing baths etc etc hope this helps a little m8

The plumber has left a cold and hot feed terminated under the floor under the WC in the bathroom for me to work from but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Looking at articles on the internet it seems I can just run off pipes using t-connectors, connect to existing wastes and Robert's your father's brother or more precisely no-one says what you can't do only "connect up the hot water feed".

Am I missing something or would it be this simple? Can you run a WC, basin, bath and shower off a single hot water feed and single cold water feed?
Is there some fancy jiggery-pokery I need to do to ensure correct flow?

I read that I should install isolator valves for each tap, etc. to be able to easily maintain, anything else I should consider?

I'm planning to just use push-fit style connectors and plastic pipe for the job to avoid any welding or soldering. I assume it will be possible to connect to the metal taps etc. with plastic pipes.

I know these are fairly basic questions but I thought it best to ask the experts as I only have tonight to figure out what to do before making a start and I don't want to be swimming into my new kitchen.

Cheers in advance guys,

James

Can be done in plastic plumbing. You'll need pipe, inserts - these are important! - a few tees, elbows (depending on the layout). You'll also need a few copper olives (15mm and 22mm if 22mm pipework is being used for the bath). You'll also need flexible tap connectors. And some pipe clips. You might need a special spanner to fit taps to basin. You'll also need silicone to apply to the basin waste and possibly the bath waste and overflow. Additionally, a shallow bath trap, basin trap (usually a bottle trap) and a pan connector for the wc.

You'll need a day (maybe 2) to put in the bath - measure panel first and get height of bath correct to this.
You'll need a good half day for the basin and another half day for the wc or maybe a day each.

Best to dress the items (attach taps and wastes before installation.)

Thanks for the quick feedback guys, slightly confused now. some people saying that best to call a plumber, others that it shouldn't be too bad reading some leaflets, etc.
Do you think it's a problem if it's just connecting to existing waste and replacing existing copper pipe with plastic stuff?
The major one I'm worried about is the shower as it's 1700 down the bath and then some way up the wall around a box fixing for the bath.
Does length matter (boom, boom) or is it cool because it's a combi which has one pressure to rule them all?

nobody can answer that because it's entirely dependent on your skill, your knowledge in DIY, your practicality, your attention to detail and your common sense.

We're more concerned about you having leak proof pipework that works and having your bathroom looking respectable.

Most "idiots" can put plastic plumbing together, but putting a shower in takes much time and effort and also most of us wouldn't use plastic tails for the shower either. It's difficult installing a shower so it doesn't leak, is level, is sturdy, etc.

Good on you for wanting to have a go, but I think the timescale is too short, to be honest. My first plumbing escapade (in my DIY days) was the downstairs wc and basin and this took me 3 days.

The bathroom took me 3 weeks (painting, units, suite, tiling, underfloor heating, etc.)

OK, some more good advice.
Thanks for the parts list dontknowitall. I get the feeling I need the basic plumbing knowledge though as I'm not sure what the olives would be used for in push fit as I thought i only needed those when connecting up two different materials.
Also I'm only vaguely aware that I needed to use inserts to reinforce parts where pushfit is applied (is that right? metal inserts inside the pipe?)
My general DIY skills are good, I pick up stuff quickly, I have most of the tools or access to them, it's just the planning and any problems that might come out of missing out something such as the inserts that I'm nervous about.

So is it best to run copper up to the shower?
I'm not planning on getting the tiling or flooring done yet, just getting the bath and toilet usable so I can move the family in.
Just don't want to get all pipework in before installing the bath so I don't have to take it out again to do the shower (or so a plumber doesn't if he does that bit).
Would be happy to be a general skivvy for a local plumber but they all seem to be on their holidays or scratching their chins saying "it's going to cost ya".
Obviously the professionals on here love their job and want to help people out so don't want to tar everyone with the same brush, it's just frustrating.

An experienced guy will do it much faster than you could ever. There are hundreds of little tricks that you won't know, & learning later is often too late. Your knowledge seems nil, ( no offence intended! ) so you might have a long, stressful job. My advice to anyone who knows a good plumber is use them.

bathrooms can be a nightmare, if you overtighten sanitary ware it cracks, if you dont tighten it enough its not solid, these things believe it or not take a while to master and i'm sure many others like myself have cracked/smashed the odd bit of sanitary ware, take this into consideration when you decide to do your bathroom suite as mistakes are costly. Not all plumbers are busy to be honest you will be able to get one to do it in short notice. I'm not busy enough that I wouldn't squeeze a bathroom suite into my schedule in short notice

Last edited:
I assume your tails are finishing with an isolation valve so olives might be necessary.
Inserts aren't needed when using copper pipe - only on plastic pipe.
It would be my choice to use copper everywhere except for flexible tap connectors (unless the side of the basin was in view in which case I'd prefer to bend the pipe and hide all the pipework behind the pedestal.) I use copper pipe for showers as it provides strength and, therefore, less likely to move when the shower is in use.

You can get the wc functioning by attaching a pan connector to it and the soil pipe then leaving a bucket next to it. Not brilliant but it works and takes about 1/2 hour to arrange.

With the bath, you can fit the trap and taps, fit the legs and put into place fitting the pipework temporarily. This should take around 1/2 day.

And arrange a plumber to come out in early January.

I'd like to be more helpful but I'd end up writing a book, to be honest.

Sure, totally appreciate an experienced guy could do it quicker and knows all the tricks otherwise everyone would do it themselves.

We are stretching the hospitality of the in-laws (they say we aren't but we've been here a while) so I'd like to get cracking so we can get in there.

Like I say I just want to get the bath, sink and toilet in but don't want to do anything that's going to have to be re-done when I try to finish the rest or get someone in to do it and also don't want water pouring through the ceiling if I can help it.

I think I'll just start a bit at a time and test each bit with isolators/terminations galore to ensure I've got no leaks before moving onto the next thing.

The missus is going back onto the phone tomorrow to see if anyone can help out/fancies a bit of Christmas money so maybe we'll strike lucky.

I've also got Christmas Eve and Christmas Day if it all goes Pete Tong or takes too long plus the father in-law has fitted a downstairs toilet and sink before using push fit and it able to help out.

If I do get hold of someone what's a good price to first fix and install a bath, sink, toilet and non-power shower. I would still do all tiling, bath panel and flooring myself.

Instead of using plastic pipe and fittings and worrying about inserts and the security of the works, use copper pushfit fittings such as Cuprofit with copper pipe. No inserts needed, absolutely rock solid (I defy anyone can pull one apart!) and leak free. Screw fix sell them.

You will need to use pipe cutters and debur the edge of the pipe before pushing it into the fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Amateur bathroom installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock