Discuss Another bodged bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I was in a newish bathroom today, the main problem was water dripping through the ceiling when the basin was used, the bathroom was put in a couple of years ago by a local guy.

In the corner of the bathroom there is an inset basin set into a poorly tiled 'cube', no access panel and no way of getting to the leak without cutting a hole in the side.

The leak was obviously coming from the waste so I'm going back next week to insert an access panel and fix the leak.

Other issue which looks ridiculas is he's laid ply over the edge of the window and tiled it for a shower. "This enclosure will not fit in that corner because the window is 10 inches in the way, but don't worry I can just tile over it!!"

When you stand outside you can see bare ply behind the glass at one end.
I see this kind of work all the time, the general finish was appauling. :eek:

Went to a job Thursday night. The woman showed me a receipt where she'd had someone in to do the bathroom for £2000. He made a right mess, and is no longer contactable, she then had someone in who was going to do the bathroom and wall/floor tiling for £450.
He put a hole in a pipe and left with water coming out of the pipe, saying he couldn't fix it as he wasn't a plumber.
I asked her(knowing the answer in my head already) if he had public liability, turns out he didn't, I then said about her house insurance. Her husband hadn't paid it for the last 2 months.
You get what you pay for, and sometimes you get more than what you bargained for.

thats the trouble. people want bathrooms changed and are unfortunate enough to get people who shouldn't really be doing this sort of work they just see the pound signs light up their eyes. they just say yes i can do that without any thought at all.

A few years ago a neighbour of mine (a lady pensioner on her own) had a bathroom refit. Bath wasn't fixed to the wall, waste not fitted to sink :) , sink not fitted to wall, Tiling cut around sink(badly) Sink taps loose and toilet cistern leaking. Couldn't get the cowboys back again (probably just as well). I went round one evening whilst she was working a night shift as a nurse and sorted it. She left me a crate of beer. Don't remember finishing the tiling =)). Happily, when I saw her the next day, I had done a cracking job. (Don't think I could have done better sober).

It seems its not only Plumbing you get a bad job done now days. It seems its nearly everything. The problem is money has taken over.

Don't get me wrong when I say its also having so many people self employed. Who checks their work other than themselves? Where and how do they learn to get better at it, if they don't work with others in the same trade to watch how they do it?

When I went to work, if my work was no good my employer would soon sack me or a clerk of works, architect, supervisor complain or the lads make a show of you. When you work for yourself you don't have those checks and so if you don't know your doing it wrong how can you improve?

I think you make a good point Bernie. In the past many served an apprenticeship and worked in a company before going self employed. If guys are learning at college and seting up shortly after they are not going to have developed there skills and knowledge.

Hmmph!!! I learned on a fast track course then set myself up. Keep being asked to do bathrooms and not yet had to return to fix leaks - not quite true but leaks materialise after a day or two and are then fixed quickly. No return calls a few months down the line as yet.

I tend to agree with what's being said though - too many people who do not take a pride in their work and some of them have been in the construction world for years.

Hmmph!!! I learned on a fast track course then set myself up. Keep being asked to do bathrooms and not yet had to return to fix leaks - not quite true but leaks materialise after a day or two and are then fixed quickly. No return calls a few months down the line as yet.

I tend to agree with what's being said though - too many people who do not take a pride in their work and some of them have been in the construction world for years.

Oops. I was generalising though Dontknowitall ;) . I think though that some people think a course is all they need. I don't doubt your work. I have seen brilliant reproduction antiques produced by a guy I used to work with. No formal training but perfect carved reliefs instead of applied mouldings and dovetails etc. I was generalising. =))

Easyt - I know you were generalising but I was just trying to help keep us all within Dan's guidelines!!

No offence taken and I don't think you were trying to cause any either.

Shall I stop digging my hole with my size 15's?

hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another bodged bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock