Currently reading:
Any builders in here.A piece of wood hold remaining chimney up

Discuss Any builders in here.A piece of wood hold remaining chimney up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

850Rick

Ive been in the attic of the house im renting.We are moving out wekend and moving back to the house we own.The land lady said they had the chimney removed right up in to the attic so tonight i took a look to find its supported by a piece of wood a few inches thick holding the rest of the chimney up going on to the roof.Is this safe?ive looked out side and it looks like my roof and next doors roof is taking a small dip in the middle

You need to report this as soon as possible, first to your Landlady and second to your local Building Control department.

You need to report this as soon as possible, first to your Landlady and second to your local Building Control department.

Land lady knows already but pretending she doesnt the neighbours tell me they had cowboy builders in and it took 18months to complete the renovation inside.The builders was always drunk and drugged out of there faces on weed the neighbours tell me

Every one keeps telling me to sue her.And on top of that ive landed work with a guy i met who used to teach at my college.He says when your have your level 2 come and work for me.He is Gas safe as well so i can get my experience in college and on the job while finishing college,doing my level 3 and getting Gas safe my self.

Land lady knows already but pretending she doesnt the neighbours tell me they had cowboy builders in and it took 18months to complete the renovation inside.The builders was always drunk and drugged out of there faces on weed the neighbours tell me
Take some pictures of it and show them to her. Then if no response take it further......or move out pronto!

Take some pictures of it and show them to her. Then if no response take it further......or move out pronto!

She knows about it,Im moving out this weekend.Ive also shown next door neighbour and there going ape.I will stick one of the pic

Does this look right to you?From where im standing it doesnt and im no builder

Attachments

• 2012-09-06 21.00.19.jpg
    2012-09-06 21.00.19.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 99
No that is dangerous and should be supported by a steel, not timber.

I hope you do the decent thing and report it before some poor unsuspecting family with kids move in and rent the place when you're gone.

I think you know yourself that the chimney breast is unsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the same holding mine up. took out the fire 25years ago and supported it with 3x2 bolted to the wall. the protrusion was only a brick width though. dont forget, its not holding up the chimney but the first row of bricks as the uppers are cross bonded. concrete reinforced beam would be better.

its ok, its got a small bit of 2x1 in the middle for extra strength :eek:mg_smile:

it realy depends whats above if its just a few courses wood is probably fine if its a full stack then no
mine has niether and has 2 floors above it bricks are like rocks and cobbeled back and only 12 inches square

No that is dangerous and should be supported by a steel, not timber.

I hope you do the decent thing and report it before some poor unsuspecting family with kids move in and rent the place when you're gone.

I think you know yourself that the chimney breast is unsafe.

I no its not right i just couldnt believe im seeing it.Its not bolted to anything either.Its just sat there,a woman from the council is out tomorrow anyway so i will tell her

it realy depends whats above if its just a few courses wood is probably fine if its a full stack then no
mine has niether and has 2 floors above it bricks are like rocks and cobbeled back and only 12 inches square

Its full course brick going from there right above the roof to the height it should be

Attachments

• 2012-09-06 21.01.03.jpg
    2012-09-06 21.01.03.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
could be a steel in the bottom of the old course and shawed up to support that 5 row replacement?

could be a steel in the bottom of the old course and shawed up to support that 5 row replacement?

If there was why would you prop wood under neath it? and use another piece of wood to support the above?If there was a Steel RSJ in there im sure it would be capable of holding the weight by its self?

The wood may only be holding the few bricks that were put in, the rest could be depending on the cantilever off the back wall.

More important to get the pipework bonded.

The woman from the Council came today and with her came a building inspector.Its an ilegal build and it all has to be ripped down.The wall in the living room and bedroom under the chimney isnt a suported wall and will colapse in due course.The whole house is wrong.

Don't want to say I told you so, but get out of there pronto and you did the right thing in informing the authorities. It could have been a disaster, imagine a wee baby sleeping in there and a wall and ceiling collapsing.

Every one keeps telling me to sue her.And on top of that ive landed work with a guy i met who used to teach at my college.He says when your have your level 2 come and work for me.He is Gas safe as well so i can get my experience in college and on the job while finishing college,doing my level 3 and getting Gas safe my self.

Rick which teacher have you got work lined up with ?

Don't want to say I told you so, but get out of there pronto and you did the right thing in informing the authorities. It could have been a disaster, imagine a wee baby sleeping in there and a wall and ceiling collapsing.

My 6 month old boy was sleeping in the bedroom under the Attic!and so was me and my missus

Well you would have been killed by the weight of that lot coming down.

Terrible. Good on you for reporting it.

Rick which teacher have you got work lined up with ?

The Teacher i got work with used to teach but he left about 5 yrs ago.I only met him by pure chance as well lol and got chatting i said i was at trafford college and he said his piece.We had a bit of a technical chat,and he just offered me out right i said ok lol.Ive got to finish my level 2 first.His back ground is comercial work in Prisons and restaurants,hotels etc.

Well you would have been killed by the weight of that lot coming down.

Terrible. Good on you for reporting it.

To be honest i think it will be along time before some one moves in this house.Im just lucky ive got my own house to move back too

Glad to hear it.

I rented for years, and was lucky that I didn't have a dodgy landlord.

I've witnessed first hand how ruthless some landlords can be. It's all about ££££'s and not about people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any builders in here.A piece of wood hold remaining chimney up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock