Search the forum,

Discuss Where do you lot work from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi. Apologies if this seems like an essay. The short question is where do you lot work from? Do you have largish houses, or do you work from a unit somewhere, or do you live in and work from old two up and two downs?

The longer read: After some thinking during a few days camping in the storms last week, I decided not to take on any new contracts for the time being. Maybe get a 'real' job or something.

I set up my business from scratch using the tools I already owned, initially as a handyman, and was working from a caravan and then a houseshare in mid-Wales. Although I took very little from the business for myself, I managed to build up enough stock and tools to be decently equipped as a plumber.

Due to being unable to sell up and find a suitable house in Wales, I ended up moving into my own house in Essex, and old friends gave me a few projects to start on. Did some some subcontract work for a couple of local builders which was good financially, though this isn't compatible with the reason I got into this craft which is to work to the highest standard I am capable of, but that isn't always what builders want done, sadly, so not keen on this, and I quite honestly think it holds me back.

I am suffering from chronic disorganisation. I'm not wanting the jobs big enough to justify a skip as I work alone and wouldn't finish them in time, so there are always odds and ends taking up space (local tips won't take trade waste even if you pay).

Storing tools and materials is tricky as I am in one of those centre-terraced houses where the door open into the lounge. My house is big enough to store things in, but has been extended and made open-plan and makes the worst possible use of light and space as it is (quite honestly it would be a better house if it hadn't been extended), and a tiny garden with awkward access makes a shed or similar impossible. Even the porch door opens outwards and has no way of being secured open so it swings around and tries to injure people. The rest of the house is a close match to that door. The guy who did the conversion was a bouncer who presumably didn't work from home.

With this level of disorganisation I'm realising that I'm not following up leads because I can't seem to organise myself out of the house on time, or arrive on site with everything I need (there's always something that got left by one of the staircases, or in the kitchen) and it makes me feel incompetent to do the work.

Problem is that now I finally need to start taking a wage, I'm also aware how quickly the savings that the business has will disappear, especially as my road tax and insurance are up for renewal, so basically I'm not making enough money to keep going.

Many many years ago when I lived in an ex-council place with a utility room, I'd put things by the back door so I'd have everything I needed in the morning and store things in the adjacent storeroom, but I can't do anything similar here. When your brain is chaotic, having organised systems you can simply follow can work, but I can't seem to get anything organised in this place (in spite of extreme minimalism I've lost clothespegs, a potato masher, pressure-cooker gaskets, and a torch... this morning I spent an hour looking for a screwdriver that I thought was in its place and - wasn't (I found it eventually)).

The crux of the matter is that while I'd like a bigger garden, I could live here (though quite honestly I'd rather somewhere a bit more rural like Gloucestershire or something) if I had an office job, or if I were employed and had (at most) a van to keep at home. Or if I didn't work from home, but I think the cost of a decent workshop would be too much, and with Colchester's traffic, it would be impractical as well.

My dad says get a store offsite, but he lives in an area where the population has halved in fifty years, there's hardly any crime because everyone knows everyone and there are garage complexes all over the place and about half the people own a disused cowshed, and no traffic jams ever. So presumably this is cheap and practical where he is.

I realised that every builder or plumber I know seems to have a spacious home with an accessible and reasonable garden whether that be a farm or an ex-council house, not a labyrinthine extended two-up and two-down with a loft storage room you can't actually get anything of any size into.

Is this the case?

Erm yes big problem mate ..
The twats break in our vans for fun these days , so secure storage at home is a must , (if you have room) I put an extension on to the back of my garage a few years ago and have a steel cupboard theat takes the expencive stuff , anyliser , sds , welder etc , in other words if I wont use that tool on that day it stops in the cupboard .
Does your dad live in England lol , most areas have doubled in size not shrunk

No, Italy. The town has doubled in size, but population has fallen significantly. In fairness, UK population has 'only' increased by 30% since 1950.

Have you got any secure storage yards near you ? you can hire a 20 foot steel container on a weekly rate

Sounds like your brain is fried Ric, perhaps to many things going on in your life at once. Can`t possibly compare a little town in Italy to Essex.

Have you got any secure storage yards near you ? you can hire a 20 foot steel container on a weekly rate
That's an idea but there not cheap at least not around here there not and he is worried about being able to tax & insure the van on his current incomings hence looking for an office job.

Well van tax & insurance can be done on monthly standing order so he doesn't have to pay it out in one lump, Must be Plumbing jobs around in Essex ! or closer into London, What they charging for container storage ??

Yes, brain is definitely fried. That's the problem!

Yes, I know I can defer costs, but I can easily pay the tax and insurance in a lump so no reason not to. Problem is I can't see a steady enough stream of income after that to both live off as well as pay future costs of running the business.

Container storage is an option, but nowhere particularly local, and as you say, not especially cheap. My mother was renting one recently and, while I forget the exact amount, it was more than one would be worth to me.

Trouble with Essex is I'm not getting enough of the maintenance jobs and small modifications, but I'm being offered complicated jobs that I don't really have the experience for, or whole bathrooms. I did have a couple of buildery friends who I could have worked with, but they seem to have had to choose between careers and drugs, and went for the latter :(

You guys would not believe the lack of security I need I have two outdoor sheds unlocked containing all my fittings copper pipe and power tools all plastic soil and waste stored outside in rack sensitive stuff stored in walk in cupboard in kitchen house is never locked my van is never locked and never in fifteen years have I had anything go missing ......totally a different ball game from Birmingham where I had to empty van of tools into house on a nightly basis.....brum

You guys would not believe the lack of security I need

No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem isn't security - a shed would do and even if it did empty itself from time to time it'd be worth it - but lack of access to storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where do you lot work from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock