Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Any disadvantages to not have a room stat on a Y-plan? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nobbyone

Hi,

I am a sparky. I had to check the wiring of a vented system for a landlord who thought the programmer was faulty in one of his properties.

I found, after looking at the wiring diagram for a Y plan, that the system did not have a room stat fitted - just a link wire. The sytem has TRVs on the radiators throughout. I removed the head of the mid-position valve and found it had stuck fast and would not budge.

Can anybody tell me what the disadvantages are of having no room stat? I thought systems had to have boiler interlock in place to save fuel etc.

As the landlord will have to get the valve replaced would there be a good chance that it will last less time than in a system fitted with a room stat?

Cheers.

pointless having no room stat as the 3 port valve wont be working on temperature controls just on the timer

The main disadvantage is no control as lame plumber says. If TRV's everywhere then there's a chance of overheating, also big gas bills as the boiler will be on with the programmer!

Plus one. I would remove one of the trv heads as system probs not got a bypass either.

should have a room stat in a room without a trv the logic is if all the trvs close the boiler will still kick in and out with a roomstat the boiler power supply is cut of

Plus one. I would remove one of the trv heads as system probs not got a bypass either.

A bypass would not normally be required on a Y plan system as at least one port is always open.

A boiler interlock is a requirement in order to prevent cycling.

On a system that requires a bypass a radiator can no longer can be used for this purpose.

An interlock such as a room thermostat should always be used.

Thanks to all. The problems you mention appear to only affect the tennant's pocket not the landlord's pocket so he will not care that it costs the tenant a fortune.
Are there any possible future costs that could be avoided if a room stat is fitted such as the cost of replacing parts earlier than expected?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any disadvantages to not have a room stat on a Y-plan? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock