Search the forum,

Discuss Any experiance with claiming on liability insurance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iain85

Happy New Year all!

After returning from holiday I had a call from good customers of mine who have had a leak on an old bath tap connector and has brought part of the ceiling down. I changed from gravity hw to combi boiler about 6 weeks ago and at the time did warn that some times leaks can present themselves when making the swap to mains pressure.
i went out today as soon as I heard and fixed the fault free of charge but offered to contact my liability insurance to which they accepted.
i do feel a little hard done by as I checked the connection before I left but since they are regulars I promised to ask the insurers to look at it for them.

The bathroom is properly old and is getting replaced soon so is one of those things but hey Ho.

so my question is has anyone gone through their liability insurance before and if so how do I go about it?t

Ta

I hope that you have not admitted liability Iain?

From what you have said, this is not down to you. Did you install the tap connector?

Wouldn't be going through my insurance for that you explained the possibility of leaks and should of put it in writing,

No admitted liability just offered to ask the question based on the situation. I'm 100% not at fault but refitted a new connector and repiped a short section for them foc as a gesture of good will. The old connector has been on there 20 years +.

Haven't got any disclaimer documents sadly and this is the first time one would come in handy. Any links to a generic one which is legally binding?

To put it bluntly how can a 20 year old fitting leaking be your fault. The one time i had to claim of my pl the they stated it is down to the householder to maintain there property and it is down to them to prove your neglgence

I have just gone through my PI and if you can avoid it I would as it will suck up some time which can be annoying.don't sound like you have done anything wrong tho imho so why bother on this occasion

Should always have "Cannot gaurantee any existing pipework and fittings.". I would have charged to repair no matter how good a customer. Insurance company will want to know why you didnt charge.

Its an existing fitting, you cannot possibly be responsible. Yes you should have warned the customers of the risk, but ultimately it could have started leaking anyway even with a gravity set up.

I know , the issue is that I connected the hw supply from the combi to the pipe about 1 metre away from the fitting and the ex mechanic customer muted that I probably disturbed the connection which while possible can't be the whole reason as was fine when I left. They are genuinely nice people but feel a bit stuck on this to be fair.

Cheers all, I will call them and explain as such and see what goes. Ta

tbh iain how do you not no the leak was cause by them eg lose tap ?

How much do you pay now?

it will shoot up
if its a small section, i'd get someone in to patch it up outside of a claim

how can i put it.
paying 300 quid now is better than paying an extra 75 quid for the next 40 years :)

Ah, defo give it a miss then. I thought it was not based on claims just risk? They don't seem to take my no claims into account year on year?,

I think public liability works different to car insurance and such?
Ray will know more than me!

just realised it's you iain!
hope it isnt too bad

Tis me billy! Let not do a repeat this week! Lol
see you tomorrow lad.

Don't jinx us....

You need a photo for your ukpf account!

i'll get a suitible mugshot tomorrow...

Sounds like you weren't to blame dude, any increase in pressure can lead to occasional problems like you warned them of :)

Disclaimers don't actually help very much in court. If the judge thinks your punter's statutory rights are at stake, all the disclaimers in the world won't make a difference. Similarly if the judge decides you aren't to blame, then the absence of a disclaimer won't hurt.

Their greatest value is in making the customer understand the reality of the situation BEFORE it happens, so that they are more understanding if the worst happens, and so they don't get wound up by family members or the bloke down the pub into making a silly speculative claim.

At the end of the day, when you convert to a pressurised system you are never going to replace every joint / washer / piece of pipe, nor would it be feasible to try and do so. I would probably have made a good will gesture (without prejudice is the legal mumbo jumbo) of repairing the leak but making good any damage deff not.

If your on good terms. Why don't you ask them to claim on their insurance and as a good will you will pay their excess.
This would be fair and cheaper for you.

I know , the issue is that I connected the hw supply from the combi to the pipe about 1 metre away from the fitting and the ex mechanic customer muted that I probably disturbed the connection which while possible can't be the whole reason as was fine when I left. They are genuinely nice people but feel a bit stuck on this to be fair.

I wouldn't worry about the fact he is an ex mechanic.
How many times would he have quoted to fit "A" then found that "B " broke whilst doing so.
Sh.t happens and they need to get on with it, you did the right thing going out tonight foc.

Repair ceiling at cost and just wright it off as mistake. Mop your tears up with a mcdonalds tomorrow morning.

personally I would not have even mentioned my insurance liability as that can be taken as admiting your at fault! I'd have done the repair and charged a cheaper rate, as if it wasnt leaking when you left and it took 6 weeks to leak how can that be anything to do with you?

personally I would not have even mentioned my insurance liability as that can be taken as admiting your at fault! I'd have done the repair and charged a cheaper rate, as if it wasnt leaking when you left and it took 6 weeks to leak how can that be anything to do with you?
My pal has had a few flexi's go on the hot after combi upgrades, he charges them, then passes them a mate who does our plastering etc lol

Cheers all, think il leave it and see what happens. Defo won't get insurers involved then.

Now, who mentioned McDonalds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any experiance with claiming on liability insurance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock