Search the forum,

Discuss Any ideas what this might be? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am wondering on the possibility of this soil pipe being made of asbestos. Before cutting with a dremel I decided it was probably better to get a second opinion on it.
20210710_185115.jpg

Attachments

• 20210710_184829.jpg
    20210710_184829.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210710_184817.jpg
    20210710_184817.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210710_185005.jpg
    20210710_185005.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210710_184808.jpg
    20210710_184808.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210710_184945.jpg
    20210710_184945.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210710_184958.jpg
    20210710_184958.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210710_184949.jpg
    20210710_184949.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 18
Yep azzy

also looks like you’ve already started

Will need to be replaced

Where it converts to clay

leave it alone but as you’ve disturbed it I would personally want it removed also it’s not the best as can break / degrade

What are my alternatives?

Get a licenced contractor to clear up the 'fine dust' and remove the unwanted pipe.

Get yourself on an 'asbestos awareness' course.

What kind of asbestos pipe is that then? All the asbestos cement pipework I've come across seems to be cast and thick, whereas this appears to be made from a helicoidal roll of strip.

Is it pitch fibre? If that's a pitch fibre pipe, it might not necessarily contain asbestos, though I'd want a sample tested to confirm.

What kind of asbestos pipe is that then? All the asbestos cement pipework I've come across seems to be cast and thick, whereas this appears to be made from a helicoidal roll of strip.

Is it pitch fibre? If that's a pitch fibre pipe, it might not necessarily contain asbestos, though I'd want a sample tested to confirm.

they used to coat the last layer with azzy as a fire proof and hard layer

You have to assume that everything that might contain asbestos does contain asbestos until a lab test says otherwise.

I've known personally two people of my own age die from mesothelioma, one a commercial plumber the other a doctor and, trust me on this, it's a nasty way to go. (The doctor was probably exposed as a med student when they had a den/common room in a service corridor beneath the hospital. They shared the corridor with asbestos lagged pipes.)

You have to assume that everything that might contain asbestos does contain asbestos until a lab test says otherwise.

I've known personally two people of my own age die from mesothelioma, one a commercial plumber the other a doctor and, trust me on this, it's a nasty way to go. (The doctor was probably exposed as a med student when they had a den/common room in a service corridor beneath the hospital. They shared the corridor with asbestos lagged pipes.)
As I said, I'd want a sample tested to confirm. It's not a huge expense. We're not saying different things (but I agree with you, we need to spell this out to the OP and your approach is exactly that of the HSE: assume everything is asbestos unless there is clear evidence that it is something else).

And yes, this is what I would do. I once had a customer say she wasn't too bothered if I drilled through a bit or Artex. My reply was, okay, but I am bothered! For myself, from the point of view of the law, and from the point of view that I don't want to take asbestos home and into the houses of other customers. Truth be told, I suspect I've already been exposed to asbestos, but that doesn't mean I want to buy any more tickets for the mesothelioma lottery. One ticket can be enough, but the more tickets, the more chance of winning.

Last edited:

Reply to Any ideas what this might be? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock