Discuss Anyone able to comment on Water Softeners? Wickes or NuWave. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeilF

Looking to replace a very old unit. Looking at Wickes E10T or a NuWave MD400.

The Wickes one is basically the same as our old one; a timer simply regens the system a given number of times a week. However the NuWave monitors the water and changes as/when required.

The latter seems the better choice but thought some folks here might have some useful insight?

Thanks...

Kinetico do a softener with no timer just water meter which switches between two cylinders. So only regenerates when necessary. Compact unit which is much more flexible and economic than timer units.

We always recommend and install Harvey Softeners. They are at the upper end of the market, but you do get what you pay for!
Definitely go for a metered model, rather than one with a timer.

Last edited:
We always recommend and install Harvey Softeners. They are at the upper end of the market, but you do get what you pay for!
Definitely go for a metered model, rather than one with a timer.

Got an example model? The only Harvey model I could find wasn't even powered? Just used blocks? Hmmm...

Looking to replace a very old unit. Looking at Wickes E10T or a NuWave MD400.

The Wickes one is basically the same as our old one; a timer simply regens the system a given number of times a week. However the NuWave monitors the water and changes as/when required.

The latter seems the better choice but thought some folks here might have some useful insight?

Thanks...

buy cheap buy twice with these, I found this out the hard way. Just put a Monarch softner in my place after ripping out a waterside one. Comes with 7 year warranty and regens like the nuwave one.

Last edited:
buy cheap buy twice with these, I found this out the hard way. Just put a Monarch softner in my place after ripping out a waterside one. Comes with 7 year warranty and regens like the nuwave one.

Seems Monarch do the metered units like the Nuwave one (I mentioned initially) for a similar price, or these non-electric ones for nigh on £700...

What is the advantage of the non-electric ones? I assume these are like the Harvey ones "Reg Man" recommended?

Got an example model? The only Harvey model I could find wasn't even powered? Just used blocks? Hmmm...

The better water softeners are non-electric, and do not rely on a timer to schedule regeneration. You will find the Harvey Softeners (and Kinetico) have a water powered metering system to determine when regeneration is required. Furthermore, the Harvey models are twin cylinder, so whilst it is regenerating you still have soft water. The timer operated ones, tend to schedule the regeneration overnight, with the premise that you won't be using any water then! If you do you will get hard water in your water cistern or hot water cylinder, and this can take days to return to fully soft water.

A twin cylinder metered model, will regenerate according to water usage, and will still provide soft water during regeneration. It will regenerate when required. If you use more water, it will regenerate more frequently, and if you go away on holiday, it won't regenerate unnecessarily.

The normal domestic softener we supply and fit is the Harvey's trade model - Dualflo. Further details here

The Harvey's website is also very informative:

They regenerate only when needed. They switch over to the second port when regeneration is required so you can still draw off soft water. So if you don't use the water it will not go into regeneration. The saving on salt is massive. The timed ones generally regenerate at night when system is not used and the time clock will be set up to do this usually every other night depending on the size of the unit and how much water is calculated to be used. Also depends on calories of hardness for your particular area.

Well, best price for a Harvey I've found is a Crown Twin Tank (which a Harvey one I believe) for around £700...

Are the salt blocks more expensive than the loose type? Do you have to use them?

I don't think the Crown twin tank is a Harvey Softener, but stand to be corrected!

Salt blocks are more expensive, but most people prefer them for the convenience. I know Harvey's do block salt and tablet salt versions of the same machine. From Harvey's, block salt is £4.12 +Vat for 2 x 4kg blocks, and tablet salt is £4.40 +vat for a 10kg bag. I'm sure you can get larger bags of tablet salt much cheaper elsewhere.

Yes, I stand corrected!
Harvey's have different names depending who supplies it. For instance Dualflo are supplied by the trade, Dealers have their own product (e.g. Twintec), but essentially they are the same machine. Sometimes the names change, so some of those maybe older models.
When comparing prices, check whether it comes with the installation kit or not.

Yes, I stand corrected!
Harvey's have different names depending who supplies it. For instance Dualflo are supplied by the trade, Dealers have their own product (e.g. Twintec), but essentially they are the same machine. Sometimes the names change, so some of those maybe older models.
When comparing prices, check whether it comes with the installation kit or not.
Cheers...

I won't need an installation kit (I hope). My existing machine just connects into the system by a pair of traditional washing machine connectors (3/4" ?). I'd be looking to get a machine that I can just connect straight in and turn on :)

If you already have standard connections from an existing softener, then yes the new machine should just connect and go. Standard connector are 3/4" BSP, but larger machines will use larger (1" BSP) connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone able to comment on Water Softeners? Wickes or NuWave. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks, hoping someone can help with a problem that's been perplexing me since just before Christmas..... I have a wet underfloor heating system...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
N
Hey guys, I've searched the forum, but haven't found anything useful. I don't know the name of the thing I'm looking for, so I apologize in...
Replies
Views
My central heating was installed in 1978. Over the years only two boilers have been used; installed a Kinetico water softener in mid 80s. However...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi all, As I'm a little out of my comfort zone where plumbing is concerned, I'd like to ask you all for some advice. I installed a water...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock