Discuss Apprentic interview questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have 5 applicants lined up to interview on Friday as I am looing to take on a new apprentice. Does anyone have any good interview questions to ask them? I want to try and figure out their character and how their brain works when up against a problem. I don't want to take on an idiot only to get rid of them in a couple months time like the last one.

I have 5 applicants lined up to interview on Friday as I am looing to take on a new apprentice. Does anyone have any good interview questions to ask them? I want to try and figure out their character and how their brain works when up against a problem. I don't want to take on an idiot only to get rid of them in a couple months time like the last one.

Go with manners first. Normally an easy one to suss out. You'll be able to tell who's genuinely keen and that's what you really want. Are they all young or are they mid life career changers?

There are 2 who are 16-18 and the other 3 are aged 19-24. General manners and appearance will be noted, I know we don't need to wear a suit to work but when I went for my interview to my first job I turned up in trousers and a shirt. It just shows a willingness to impress and make an effort.

clean. dont smell. turn up on time, manners, any nerves (being a bit nervous is ok, scared witless not good), willing to listen, willing to ask their own questions, sorry but non smokers work for me, do any have their mobile in hand as they arrive,wait during your interview!, put them at ease with how did you find getting here today type questions, then ask some basic plumbing questions to see what they know, ask what their aims are, what they have done to improve themselves, no point in asking them to draw a s plan yet, just see what they are made of. have fun.

I have a couple of test papers I get them to do in the interview. I nip out of the room and leave them to it. One is 5 maths questions with questions that would be relevant to the job like converting mm to cm etc.

The other is some work based scenario questions i.e. what would you do in this situation at work? The former tests there raw ability to use maths of course and the latter their initiative. Both things that are very hard to teach.

I'm not a huge fan of interview questions as such, anyone with half a brain can tell you what you want to hear! From there I end up taking the top couple on for a trial week. By the end of the week you will know if you have someone with potential or not. People can hold up an act for a day, they all let their guard down by the end of a week and you see the true person!

You'll never figure out how the young ones brains work.
You need to find out if the
a) can do the job
b) will do the job
c) will you or other workers get on with them
d) any medical conditions that may make them a liability, fear of heights, dizziness, colour blindness etc
Ask motivational questions like did you study hard for your exams - why or why not,
any practical projects they have been involved or helped with and set a basic maths / arithmetic test relevant to the work we do.
Its amazing how many couldn't tell you how long the heating is on for if it is on from 7 -9.30 and half 4 to quarter past 10.
Measire something with a tape and give you the answer in mm etc.
I have a test paper somewhere if i can find it i'll post it up.

q;
if you had a choice.
would you prefer ÂŁ10k for the years work payed in 2 installments of ÂŁ5k,
or ÂŁ192 pw spread over the year?

A; you will find who's in it just for the money as it means you will be offering ÂŁ5k before they start/12mth!

Utter pish I went right. I never ever told a lie and I'm shy .

They need a trial of a week. First day. Clean out van then tightness test. If they just hide the mess in van and are done in 30 sexonds probably a twonk. Empty it out sweep it and put it all back = get rid of mrs they can move in.

Here is a bit of it. Its an old BPEC paper. If they can't pass this they will be hard work.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Its where it always is or it should be Steve
If its not there its coming out yer wages as tidying up tools is your department :smile:

actually you will find most school leavers will struggle with that even when my kids were at schoolwhich is over ten years ago the maths was nothing like the stuff we did it was all about averages and means loads of graphs hardly any algebra and no trig

Utter pish I went right. I never ever told a lie and I'm shy .

They need a trial of a week. First day. Clean out van then tightness test. If they just hide the mess in van and are done in 30 sexonds probably a twonk. Empty it out sweep it and put it all back = get rid of mrs they can move in.

Need a week to clean out your van pal.
I went right too, not because I'm a liar, just down to the simpe fact I used my right hand and naturally brought the tail to the right. Maybe I'm telling porkies.

As for the OP question. You got it wrong with the last apprentice, so this time follow your gut instinct and forget all else.
Problem solving in the plumbing and heating game is about the knowledge you impart upon the "new boy" and his ability to retain said knowledge, so the enthusiasm you show for the job rubs off on the spotty one.
The rest will come in time.
A weeks trial is no good, you've got to give them time to settle and then it'll "click"

Get talking the the newbie, once he's settled, about the different type of piping plans, plus s and y plan and system design.
Give him a bit of easy system design homework.
If it were I, I'd want the lad to be able to walk into a property establish the system design, and in his minds eye, strip away the walls and floors so that that design is cleary seen in his minds eye.

Why?
Using this forum, the above seems , to me to be, the biggest stumbling block for guys that have been in the trade, even for a few years, going on the questions posed to the forum that is.
Your keeness rubs off.

Why not go for the most nervous lad that looks as if he's been up all night worrying about the interview. He just might be the one how will apply himself most.

Last edited:
You can make allowances for nervousness. In my experience a week trial is very good for working out whether someone has the right attitude to do well in a small business. I do agree 100% though that the nervous lads are often the best ones once their confidence grows. My year 1 apprentice is very nervous and I almost feel sorry for him when he gets a telling off! You just have to know how to nurture people to bring the best out of them.

Also, offer them something in return. To many companies around here just abuse apprentices. Pay them crap wages for 2 or 3 years and/or don't offer them a proper employment contract. No surprise then that they leave as soon as they have finished their apprenticeship.

My last point is that no apprentice will work harder than one with a young kid. If you find one of these they will work hard at their apprenticeship as they want to provide for their family and they know that plumbing is a way to do that.

I'd ask about whether they can get out of bed in the morning.

Ask if the smoke the 'herb'

See what tools they can identify.

See if they know any basics of plumbing like the difference between a soldered joint & compression. Just simple stuff.

I'd like to think that if they're serious they'd know something.

How old are they & have they done courses?

Can they communicate & especially listen to what you're saying to them rather than what they think they're hearing.

I also don't think it's out of order to give them a small task to do, nothing terrible, just to see if they can think and at least try to figure out the task if even it's wrong, it'll show they've got some drive, if anyone looks at a simple task and doesn't try then maybe they're no good. It'll be better to hear them tell you they don't have a clue but they'll give it a try than just look confused & throw the towel in,

When I went for my 1st apprenticeship the questions were
1) have you ever done anything plumbing related?
A) no although I did get the air out of my radiator.
2) you mean bled the air out of the radiator?
A) is that what it's called ok then.
3) why do you think you will make a good plumber?
A) I'm not sure if I will but I like to give it my all and hopefully I will be good enough.
4) what you like in the mornings?
A) I used to have a summer job on a farm so pretty good.
5) how would you say you've done so far in this interview?
A) probably terrible I'm that nervous that I'm not thinking about what I say.

He then said you don't seem it and I like your honesty you have got the job.

The first year I was useless, possibly because I probably had a broken hand for most of that because I kept missing the chisel, but then I started to get better.

So never judge a book by it's cover, what might seem good in the interview stage may not be the best. Looking back my old boss never employed the most likely and most of them turned out decent.

My plumbing interview went something like this

Is the boss in?
Any joabs Mr
Joabs? And who are you?
Tom
And who is yer faither?
Tam
Well sit down then. And whit makes ye want to be a plumber?
I need a joab or i'm gon doon the pit cos am gittin on ma maws nerves.
Theres better money in the pit.
Much are youse paying like?
Lol.....Gordie much are we payin boys the noo? This wans no shy lol
About 6 bob an hoor.
Thats awe right. I only get wan fifty on the papers.
Lol.....Whit did ye dae at the skil?
Chemistry physics maths n that.
And ye want tae be a plumber? Did ye pass yer exams?
Don't know yet i only done them last month.
Dae ye hink ye passed them?
If i didny ma da will boot ma rse.
and so on for another 5 minites.
Tell ye whit. Be here at half 7 on Monday n al see whit yer like.

That was about it. The start of the ruination :smile:

Btw i had a broken hand for a year or so too Millsy. Part of the learning curve :lol:

q;
if you had a choice.
would you prefer ÂŁ10k for the years work payed in 2 installments of ÂŁ5k,
or ÂŁ192 pw spread over the year?

A; you will find who's in it just for the money as it means you will be offering ÂŁ5k before they start/12mth!

Everyone's in it for the money! Would you be unblocking bogs if money didn't matter?

Is the boss in?
Any joabs Mr
Joabs? And who are you?
Tom
And who is yer faither?
Tam
About 6 bob an hoor.

Btw i had a broken hand for a year or so too Millsy. Part of the learning curve :lol:

Are you still in touch with him?

Is the boss in?
Any joabs Mr
Joabs? And who are you?
Tom
And who is yer faither?
Tam
About 6 bob an hoor.

Anyone else getting Rab-C-Nesbitt flashbacks then?!

Are you still in touch with him?
I kept in touch with him through the years up until he died about 6 years ago now. A very switched on guy who didn't tolerate fools.
I learned lots from him and the other guys (nearly all away now) and he always gave me enough rope to hang myself then drew me back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Apprentic interview questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock