Discuss Are expensive compression fittings worth it in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Anj

I need to add a two port valve to an existing system. As part of this job I need to add a few compression fittings.

Wanted to ask those more experienced is it worthwhile buying (as an example) a Prestex (Pegler) 28mm equal T for £12.80 vs cheaper non-brand at £8.05? Is there real any difference in a compression fitting that justifies the additional cost?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

I need to add a two port valve to an existing system. As part of this job I need to add a few compression fittings.

Wanted to ask those more experienced is it worthwhile buying (as an example) a Prestex (Pegler) 28mm equal T for £12.80 vs cheaper non-brand at £8.05? Is there real any difference in a compression fitting that justifies the additional cost?

Thanks in advance for any opinions
The cheaper one will be fine, just put a smear of jointing paste around the olive for peace of mind, although we would normally use capillary fittings, much cheaper and more reliable in a heating system.

12 sounds very expensive online search finds 28 mm for around £6 to 8 good makes and cheap even found 50 at £36.00 plus vat

Last edited:
I can't ever really remember looking at the cost of a comp fitting. Just buy them - and make sure they're not junk (you can usually tell just by a glance at the finish) as a general rule the bigger the size the fewer junk fittings are available.

I can't ever really remember looking at the cost of a comp fitting. Just buy them - and make sure they're not junk (you can usually tell just by a glance at the finish) as a general rule the bigger the size the fewer junk fittings are available.
Ok thanks I will follow that advice.
Do you all consider WRAS certification (eg for a Ball Valve) as anything to consider or do these fail just as much as any other...

Wras means it's been tested for water hygiene safety which I gather is quite an expensive thing for the mfr to do, so yes they are more likely to be better quality overall.
[automerge]1587494422[/automerge]
A brass olive suggests a better quality fitting over copper olive

Reply to Are expensive compression fittings worth it in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back