Discuss AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Could someone take a look at this for me please?
Just had a boiler put in our property on a grant scheme. The boiler is great other than him not cleaning the pipework including gas joints before leaving 🙁.
I've cleaned it up and it seems alright.

My other main worry though was what the follow up electrician has done in the meter box;

He's put the water mains bonding from the stop tap inside the kitchen to the main gas bonding clamp on the outlet of the meter which I think is ok (the main gas bonding is in right place),

but he's also drilled through the back plate and through the building fabric into the kitchen under the units and I'm also pretty sure it's narrow cavity wall. Can someone confirm this is "at risk" please? There's not even any sealing compound either on the hole in the box.

Does this come under?
:
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
PART C
Reg 13.—(1) Where a meter is housed in a meter box or meter compound attached to or built into the external face of the outside wall of any premises, the meter box or meter compound shall be so constructed and installed that any gas escaping within the box or compound cannot enter the premises or any cavity in the wall but must disperse to the external air.

I just don't feel comfortable with it and thought I should give the company the chance to put it right. A new alternative hole could be drilled perhaps somewhere to the right side of the box on the same motar line and this one repaired I would have thought with a slightly longer length of earth cable to replace this one.
appreciate it thanks.
Chris.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 42
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 36
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yep also it’s modifying the meter box technically as it’s not an approved hole so needs a new meter box and the earth moving externally or via an approved entry

really. that means a large percentage of gas meter boxes need replacing from what I see on my travels

Yep can only go through where the pipe goes as you can seal eg there’s a spigot

Can’t you just seal up where the cable goes through, on both skins of wall, with ct1 etc?
If not, why not?

Movement needs to have a spigot so the seal can’t fall out / debond

Reply to AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock