Discuss AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Just needs sealing with a compound that's flexible. Like silicone.

On my gas safe inspection I had a property that I took him to where the Electrician had been after I had visited - they'd drilled though the top left corner. He pulled it and said just seal it up with silicone. Only like the spigot in the rear of the gas box when sealed.

Just needs sealing with a compound that's flexible. Like silicone.

On my gas safe inspection I had a property that I took him to where the Electrician had been after I had visited - they'd drilled though the top left corner. He pulled it and said just seal it up with silicone. Only like the spigot in the rear of the gas box when sealed.
Excerpts from gas safe TB102 (Location of protective equipotential bonding on gas installation pipework in domestic premises), doesn’t mention just siliconing up.

Attachments

• C19F4DB5-7758-425C-90D7-6AC6B0BBF3E2.jpeg
    C19F4DB5-7758-425C-90D7-6AC6B0BBF3E2.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 0AB60654-25B8-4015-AECA-D0493147D7F6.jpeg
    0AB60654-25B8-4015-AECA-D0493147D7F6.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Excerpts from gas safe TB102, doesn’t mention just siliconing up.
Oh I agree, but at the end of the day it's been done incorrectly which i'm not disputing. But it's been done, and logically it isn't feasible to easily replace the meter box. Sealing the hole up so that it becomes air tight I think is acceptable, and seems that so of a Gas Safe inspector too.

Oh I agree, but at the end of the day it's been done incorrectly which i'm not disputing. But it's been done, and logically it isn't feasible to easily replace the meter box. Sealing the hole up so that it becomes air tight I think is acceptable, and seems that so of a Gas Safe inspector too.

2 hours maximum to change the meter box aslong as you have met1 (technically you can do it without but it’s a grey area)

Excerpts from gas safe TB102 (Location of protective equipotential bonding on gas installation pipework in domestic premises), doesn’t mention just siliconing up.
Your reference is to a built-in meter box whereas the OP's is surface mounted. I'm not a gas installer myself, but logic would dictate that if the hole in the wall is filled in, any potential leak will be to the outside air - which shouldn't be an issue as the box itself is not designed to be airtight. Had it been a box built into a wall, I'd understand if it's a different kettle of fish.

The first set of bs are correct even if it’s a surface meter box as there is a path to the cavity and not approved Method

The first set of bs are correct even if it’s a surface meter box as there is a path to the cavity and not approved Method
Read what I said again please - if the hole in the wall is filled in.

Obviously the cable needs re-routing first and I'm not arguing otherwise. Would you, speaking seriously, replace the entire meter box to remedy a small hole in the back that could be patched up? Reason I ask is many gas boxes of a certain age have damaged doors or rodent damage and landlord's certificate inspections don't seem to care too much, which I assumed was because there wasn't a path to the inside. Is this wrong?

Irrelevant - wrong pieces of info
Who's info is irrelevant?

Last edited:

Reply to AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock