Discuss AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Read what I said again please - if the hole in the wall is filled in.

Obviously the cable needs re-routing first and I'm not arguing otherwise. Would you, speaking seriously, replace the entire meter box to remedy a small hole in the back that could be patched up? Reason I ask is many gas boxes of a certain age have damaged doors or rodent damage and landlord's certificate inspections don't seem to care too much, which I assumed was because there wasn't a path to the inside. Is this wrong?

Who's info is irrelevant?

Yes no different to the gas pipe not being sealed the spigot / manufacturer holes are there for a reason

Can you guarantee that hold will stay sealed / tight to the cavity just by putting a blob on it

A broken door - if there’s gas escape, chances of entering the building are slim.

A siliconed hole - whereby the hole into the fabric of the building won’t necessarily be sealed - chances are more likely (a risk).

A broken door - if there’s gas escape, chances of entering the building are slim.

A siliconed hole - whereby the hole into the fabric of the building won’t necessarily be sealed - chances are more likely (a risk).
Only similar to the material used to seal the pipe to the box coming away - and it happens when they've used putty.

Yes no different to the gas pipe not being sealed the spigot / manufacturer holes are there for a reason

Can you guarantee that hold will stay sealed / tight to the cavity just by putting a blob on it
Hiu Shaun,

I agree with your point: a blob would be a bodge and a proper repair would be more laborious.

However, if the wall were mortared up AND the hole in the plastic repaired using Araldite (or better still actually glue a patch over the hole), I think it's guaranteed no gas will escape to the cavity. As an RGI, would you be happy with this or is it still a no no?

Assuming it's outside the box, and it's going straight across the cavity, I'd be interested to know whether electrical regulations strictly require a sleeve? If not, then I'd suggest any common sense material (offcut of pipe or hose) would do as they would class as a cable installation aid.

Assuming it's outside the box, and it's going straight across the cavity, I'd be interested to know whether electrical regulations strictly require a sleeve? If not, then I'd suggest any common sense material (offcut of pipe or hose) would do as they would class as a cable installation aid.
right thanks, just with it being probably near the meter installation thought it would be for the best. cemented in place and with a good bit of non setting compound perhaps in the end. they suggested 20mm conduit on the electrician forum

20mm conduit or a bit of 15mm copper either acceptable
Thanks Shaun.

Today the company have replied to a recent initial email I sent with the photos saying:

"Hi,I have returned from annual leave this morning , I will investigate this and get back to you when I have more information. Are you happy for us to seal the wire? Thank you"

I havent replied with an alternative yet. Just wanted to formulate the best counter suggestion.

Cheers

Reply to AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock