Discuss AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I wouldn’t want them to as they wouldn’t be able to guarantee it also you might have a service later on and someone flags it up

Yep also it’s modifying the meter box technically as it’s not an approved hole so needs a new meter box and the earth moving externally or via an approved entry
I found this thread on the Electricians forum, I was not aware us sparks could not drill a hole in the meter box, but now I know, it makes sense. Maybe I'm the only spark that does not know this, but I doubt it. There is nothing in our regs, and we are the ones fitting the bonding, so the IET should include this in our regs so we don't continue to do this. But as commented previously, there must be loads of boxes that do not comply. Replacing the whole box seems over the top if this is the only non compliance.
Looking at the regs snip, it seems to me that the requirement is to make the rear part of the box air tight. I'm thinking a Wylex Membrane Cable Entry gland should be sufficient. I know the Wiska membrane glands are IP66, I assume Wylex will be the same. So this could be an easy fix ?

Problem is it has to be tested to be air tight tbh these days I don’t know why there isn’t a m20 threaded hole so you could put a gland in it etc

Problem is it has to be tested to be air tight tbh these days I don’t know why there isn’t a m20 threaded hole so you could put a gland in it etc
Yeah I agree, it’s all about proof.

M20 thread Sounds like the perfect solution.

I was just thinking we could just drill and use compression gland, but often the spark arrives after all done, so we could not get a nut on.

Although most import thing is education.

Yeah I agree, it’s all about proof.

M20 thread Sounds like the perfect solution.

I was just thinking we could just drill and use compression gland, but often the spark arrives after all done, so we could not get a nut on.

Although most import thing is education.

Hence why they drill a hole where they can get too it’s one of them needs more communication on new builds

External box tested air tight? Is this real? Our gas meter cupboard door doesn’t even seal properly😁

Yes in regards to leakage into the cavity

every day is a learning day.

shame the gas regs people and the electrical regs people cant agree on consistency of wording of regs 😊

Classic one is the new ones 18th am3 I think, if poly / plastic incoming yours doesn’t require to have sup bonding where as ours stat you must :D

This day and age you would think they would get together and have a meeting

Reply to AT RISK WATER MAIN EARTH BONDING THROUGH METER BOX BACK PLATE in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock