Discuss basic stock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Randall

Hiya Guys,
im a recently qualified domestic plumber and i would like to know what basic stock of parts and bits you carry on your van? any help would be apreachiated, thank you

If I was starting again I'd buy things as I went along as it's much cheaper that way and you don't end up with loads of things you just might use one day but far off in the future when you can't find it. The stock/parts/materials I hold might be very different from your requirements as the customers I have around here are probably different from the customers who call on your services.

Slightly more positively in answering your question, I've just returned from holiday and had to purchase a load of things as I'd run out of most of my common items on my last job.

20m copper tube (15mm)
End feed 15mm ... 100 x elbow, 25 x street elbow, 25 x equal tee, 25 x coupler, 25 x street elbow, 25 x stop end
Compression 15mm ... 2 x equal tee, 2 x elbow
Outside tap x 3
Screws: 200 x 4.0x40mm, 200 x 4.0x50mm, 100 x 5.0x60mm, 100 x 5.0x70mm

End feed 22mm ... 20 x elbow, 20 x coupler, 25 x stop end, 10 x 22/22/15 tee, 10 x 22/15/22 tee

20 rolls of pfte tape, flux, solder, heat mat

I've got stocks of other items but tend only to keep a length or two of 22mm pipe, some oil pipe and 10mm pipe but no plastic pipe although I keep fittings. I also have a loo syphon, a few inlet valves, a part 2 valve and 3 organisers full of various odd fittings like tap connectors but these are left overs from other jobs or collected along the way thinking they might come in useful one day. I've still two 22mm gate valves I bought over three years ago. I've still a basin wrench I never used. I've still two enormous stillsons I've never used. I've still ... etc, etc.

I've 3-6 outside taps in stock but I've only fitted these in rural properties and I live in a rural area. I think I've only fitted one in a town. Likewise I've hardly ever touched oil within a 30mph limit so the list above might not be suitable for you to copy like for like, but I hope it helps.

I spent a good 2-3 hours with a Screwfix catalogue when I started as they have most of the common parts you'll need in an easily laid out catalogue. Occasionally I have a good read through (then see if I can find the stuff cheaper else where!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your reply, it is very helpfull. i keep ordering tools, but i actually dont have a lot of materials......

I have a 35+ year old unopened tube of plumbers mate you can have if you wish,thought I should have some,never had course to use it,was thinking of making some morf men when I retire

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVcxEGX5W1Q]YouTube - the things that morf[/ame]

come to think of it,could have made loads ,all the time I have been sat in my van waiting for customers over the years....feel I have missed out again now :(:(

However maybe have a look at the rubber and fiber washer kits at the bottom of the link page,I find really handy to have

Toolstation > Plumbing > Washers & Fixings

i must sort the back of my van out and see what i have got:D. I think if i sort out my toolbag and van i reckon i could re-stock my fittings box:D.

you will soon pick up on what you will use most as you go:D

thanks fella's, the worst thing about starting out on your own at the age of 42 trying to make a good impression, is the fear of turning up to someones house on a call out, and not having some of the basic things that seasoned plumbers who have been in the business for years keep in stock but youve not got in your van.

Thanks for the appreciation - it makes typing lengthy replies worth it!!

No need to lie but you can bend the truth in those situations. Need a compression elbow in 22mm? "I never keep those in the van because I hardly ever use them". Need a WC syphon? "I forgot to buy one last time I was at the plumbing merchant" or "I sold my last one recently and haven't been to the plumbing merchant since".

The easiest is "It's too expensive on petrol and cashflow to try and stock everything and I could bet that I'd still never have everything I needed even if I tried".

I started 3 years ago (aged 45) and find the good old fashioned honest truth works better than those excuses and I used to say things like "I'm new to the trade and haven't yet worked out what the best type items to stock on the van are."

And when I returned to customers a year later I'd say something like "You can't begin to imagine how much I know now compared to last time I helped you".

I was frequently told that I shouldn't tell customers I'm new to the trade but I found my customers really appreciated the openness and that's why I have repeat business.

Best of luck!!

... And before some smart Alec says ... the repeat business is not going back to fix the leak!!

My stock is held in stackable containers and I always try to have a good stock of the most used things I need. Time is money and there's no way I can afford to down tools and jump down to the merchants every time I go to a job.
I always have at least ten of everything and replace what is used after every few jobs.
I have elbows, tees, reducers, valves, straights, female connectors, tap adaptors etc in both 22mm and 15mm and some 10mm in compression, Speedfit, soldered yorkies and a few irons. i always have a good stock of copper and Speedfit barrier pipe. Don't forget sundries such as Speedfit inserts, copper olives, flux, PTFE tape (I prefer the gas stuff) and some boss white. NEVER use flux or boss white any where near Speedfit!
In addition I have 32mm and 42mm bends, tees, straights, reducers, blanks in push fit and compression for waste pipe and I always carry pipe for same.
I have a few straight and bent pan connectors as stock too.
I have a good stock of screws from size 4 to size 10 and these are cheap to buy. I never struggle now to find a screw to fit a particular job!
I always carry at least 5 bib taps and back plates for outside tap installations. Steer clear of the B&Q kits as they use a washing machine hose as "pipe work" and a self cutting tap which reduces water pressure that can then damage a pressure washer.
If you buy in bulk initially as I did and keep your stock topped up, you will save money and more importantly not run out. Its a real pain in the BUM to tell your customer that you have to come back later because you don't have a basic item such as a elbow in stock. Not good either when you are 30 miles from the nearest supplier.
I do a lot of bathrooms and the stock I always carry covers 99% of what I need. The old Boy Scouts motto stands true....
....Be Prepared!

ive allways found you need to buy more than the one item each time to build up stocks if i need a drain of 1buy 5 if you need a back plate buy 5 even if they sit in the box for two years you will eventually use them

I like building up a bit of stock in the good times to see me through the leaner times,makes the profit better when needed (although not really profit has you have paid for it before) but if you are quite and you change a pump and 3 port valve and do not have to allow for cost of buying materials at that time ,being able to use all the invoice total,can be a life saver, when a few jobs like that put together
People say,don't keep to much stock,dead money but I would rather have a few pumps,valves ect to hand than a new pair of gucci shoes
But then again have seen hard times so when you have, you tend to horde a bit more
main problem can be stock control,as in knowing what,s were when needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to basic stock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock