Currently reading:
Bathroom refit, can you sense check these 2 configurations

Discuss Bathroom refit, can you sense check these 2 configurations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

What do you think would be a reasonable price to rip out and replace a bathroom suite for this bathroom please?

oldbath.jpg

I would like some advice. I would like to know how different your quote would be (both with me supplying the suite) for a direct replacement; and one for changing that corner bath into a normal bath along that back wall, with a shower over the bath, instead of the standalone unit.

Now the taps for the bath are on the right corner just out of shot, so there will need to be some re-plumbing involved to get the bath taps closer to the wall.

I just want to know what I'm talking about a bit better when I get local plumbers round to show it.

no, i could give you a quote. i may win the job, or not but i would edge my bets.

dont know where you live, the suite going in tiling etc?.

& wheres the basin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets flip this round a little bit how much do you wanna spend

£1500-£2000 including the second scenario reconfiguration? I really have no idea how much it'll cost.

I'm only talking about refitting the sanitary ware, not tiling or electrics

Last edited:
I"ll let you in to a little secret the one im doing at the minute is just shy of 8 grand

no, i could give you a quote. i may win the job, or not but i would edge my bets.

dont know where you live, the suite going in tiling etc?.

Staffordshire. Do you mean what is the quality of the suite? If so, I'm picking up bits and bobs as I see good deals. Ideal Standard saintary ware & Bristan and Hansgrohe taps

I"ll let you in to a little secret the one im doing at the minute is just shy of 8 grand

the one i am doing ///for the last 4 weeks is 15k, stuck at the moment as the t.v above the bath had to go back and the marble work tops are not ready!!

The best advice I can give you with regards to a bathroom installation is never go on price alone. Get several quotes and listen to what each one is saying about this bathroom and you'll not only get a lot of advice but will know who to go with for the install.

Plus I can tell just by looking at it, it's in no way a straight install. Guaranteed under that old shower tray, will require a new floor for starters and I can see lots of pipework needing rerouted.

Exactly the bloke on mine said his inital thought was the price was high but after seeing what i am doing/he is getting for his money he"s glad he payed the extra and went with me

The best advice I can give you with regards to a bathroom installation is never go on price alone. Get several quotes and listen to what each one is saying about this bathroom and you'll not only get a lot of advice but will know who to go with for the install.

Plus I can tell just by looking at it, it's in no way a straight install. Guaranteed under that old shower tray, will require a new floor for starters and I can see lots of pipework needing rerouted.

Well thanks for the first sensible answer.

To give background, the house is 1995 built and the current kit is Twyfords.

What do you think will be wrong with the floor underneath the shower tray? Rotten floorboards?

Nope i am, new suite, floor tiling, wall tiling, spots

Now I feel a little better. Seeing £10k was making me feel a bit queasy. If it was a joke and I'm assuming it was, it's an odd type of humour for some of you!?!

Anyway - £8k including suite tiles and electric work sounds reasonable to what I was thinking. I still can't get any sense of idea of how much more it would cost me to reconfigure the bath and shower from what it would cost for a straight swap.

9 times out of 10, the floor will have water damage, plus the shower trap will come out through the floor boards so that hole will need covered. There will probably be black mould on the walls adjoining the tray where the silicon has been leaking too and the joists behind this supporting the wall might need replaced too.

Until the bath panel has been removed, who knows what lies there too. In most of my bathroom installs, I now fit 18mm ply on the floor after removing the bath and sanitary ware and saves a lot of headaches later on with uneven floors/ holes etc.

As the property is circa 1995, then the pipework will be metric and most probably copper, so that's a good start. Most existing waste pipes, especially coming from a shower are usually gunged up, so I usually renew it all.

Basically, you will get what you pay for. I'm not cheap, but I'm thorough at what I do and go that extra mile. For the price I get paid for a bathroom, I offer a 5 year guarantee and I've got 7 bathrooms booked in at present. Price is not everything. Cheap, usually means shoddy.

thanks System3, I appreciate the honesty. Say worst case and all those things needed doing in my case, and it was a complex pipe reroute to turn the bath and shower into one unit, could you give a rough worst case price at all to give me an idea please?

thanks System3, I appreciate the honesty. Say worst case and all those things needed doing in my case, and it was a complex pipe reroute to turn the bath and shower into one unit, could you give a rough worst case price at all to give me an idea please?
We're not allowed to give prices on the main forum to discourage price wars and spammers, but I'll PM you a ball park figure which will be an estimate only as I've not done a survey on the bathroom first.

The trouble with these types of threads is the op will keep asking the question until he or she hears the figure they want to hear. It's impossible to price without seeing the job. And without knowing exactly what suite you are providing makes it even harder. You best bet would be to get 3 or 4 local tradesmen to price it up. It probably won't cost you anything and will give you a better idea.

What your asking isnt the best ! Im assuming from you name you work with tvs/cable ? Imagine if i rang you u or sent u a picture of my house and said u need an aerial and 4 feeds for tvs ! Right so u price for it ! Then you get there and i want the ariel down the bottom of the garden out of site ! Then i want all cables hidden and nothin on show ! Would you not turn around and say well hang on thats going to cost more ? Yes you would ! So the guys might give you a price but as its been said we cant tell what the floor condition is ! The walls or anything from the picture. You need to get a few people out for a quote speak to them ! And check their previous work ! Some will stand out as a higher quality and there quote will most likely be higher ! Theres nothing worse than sitting in the bath or on the toilet and start noticing little things !

You get what you pay for ! Like i said get quotes and look at there previous work the people with a high standard will be more than happy o show off there handy work !

The trouble with these types of threads is the op will keep asking the question until he or she hears the figure they want to hear. It's impossible to price without seeing the job. And without knowing exactly what suite you are providing makes it even harder. You best bet would be to get 3 or 4 local tradesmen to price it up. It probably won't cost you anything and will give you a better idea.

I do plan to do this but the OP wasn't just about price but more a sense check about my idea of relocating the bath and what is involved. It appears from a few of the comments that I will need to be wary of the floor quality underneath both shower and bath and obviously the replumbing of pipes.

Here's a basic pricing formula I use:

Complete price of materials plus 30% markup
Daily rate x time to complete the installation
Sundries (fuel, insurance, business costs etc,) plus 5% to cover eventualities.

cableguy i apologise for some of the unwarranted comments i will edit this when i have more time and deal with those involved accordingly , feel free to pm the ops that were more helpful or start a new thread.

thanks bod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bathroom refit, can you sense check these 2 configurations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock