Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi Back Boiler Central Heating / Hot Water System - Very noisy when running in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi all,

I have just moved into a property built in the seventies which I suspect still has the original central heating system. The previous owner is old and was not much use in helping advise me how it works.

I have a Bermuda Baxi Boiler in the living room behind the fire and a hot water tank in the bedroom cupboard above. When the boiler is running, its very noisy (almost like a blowtorch sound) along with a few "clunks" here and there as the water runs through the pipes. There is one digital control panel beside the hot water tank which allows me to program it to run 3 times per day but no separate heating/ho****er control - Its either all on or all off.

1. Why might it sound like a blowtorch when running?

2. When the boiler is running, there appears to be no way to control the heating and hot water separately other than to turn the radiators off using the TRV's in each room. i.e. heating is not required as its currently summer time - Is this right?

3. The temperature of the water coming out of the taps is really hot. I can't see any type of thermostat or adjuster on the tank (worth noting, there is no separate control for the heating either, just the TRV's on the radiators). Any idea how I cool it down at all?

Apparently the system was recently serviced but I am suspicious. I have bled the radiators to try to remove any air out of the system but that hasn't done anything for the noise.

I suspect the responses I receive will be to replace this antique asap but any advice to see me through the short term would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi there Dave and welcome, best to register properly with the forum to receive sound advice,

yes its a very old and antiquated system but it should work it just doesnt have the control of a modern system to lower the water temperature you can turn the boiler stat down you will find this under the gas fire in the lounge
you should be able to select hot water only on your time clock if you cant its been wired wrong or the clock has been setup wrong send us a picture of the time clock and we may be able to help
by modern standards they are noisey but if it sounds like a blowtorch i would get it serviced again by someone over 40

Kris - I have now registered.

Stevetheplumber - I will post a picture when I get home.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for that,,,
The noise you here can slight echos of the burner because it's enclosed and attatched to the chimney so the sound sometimes get magnified but it's common so don't worry, you'll find you hear it ignite every time while in the sitting room, like Steve said pull the flap down at the fire and look underneath your see a thermostat dial with 1 to 5 on it , this controls the temperature, unfortunately there isn't a way of controlling the output of your hot water so you should maybe look at upgrading as the back boiler u have can be a gas guzzler compared to new energy efficient models,
What I will say as long as it's maintained and serviced they will run for years n years , often 40-50 years with only replacing pumps n thermocouples lol

Hi edinburghlad, maybe someone local could have a look at that for you ;)

IMG_8165.jpg

Control panel picture attached. Anyone seen one of these before?

Further info re the noise - the "blowtorch" noise is definitely coming from the water tank upstairs rather than the boiler which is much quieter.

single channel time clock so the only way to turn of the heating is as you are now im assuming its gravity primaries the cylinder should not be noisey i would check that there is water in the small header tank in the loft
another picture of the cylinder and pipework would help
you could have the controls updated which would give seperate control

Tank.jpg

Thanks Steve. Photo of tank attached. It is a gravity fed system. I will go up the loft tonight and look for the header tank. Should it be accessable? How will I know if it has the right amount of water in it? There is obviously water in the system as I can get hot water and heating as and when required.

I have read elsewhere that it might be kettling which is causing the noise. Is there a chance it could be this?

My advice when moving onto a home with an open flued appliance is to have it serviced - unless you are certain of it's recent service history. These boiler/fire units are particularly hazardous as there is no safe atmospheric device fitted.

I am uneasy with Kris (no offence intended) suggesting you should not worry about the "blowlamp" noise. This COULD indicate a sooted heat exchanger or a damaged/displaced burner end cap or seal.

If you lie on the floor with the boiler alight and observe the flames. they should be nice and blue. If yellow and "floppy" then turn off immediately and contact a RGI. If there are flames running out of the end of the burner (you may not be able to see this though), again turn off.

If I where you I would switch the appliance off and get a gsr engineer in. Not worth the risk with open flued appliances Imo

If the water from the taps is scalding , its probably the systems way of saying , need to put hot water on for a shorter time !
( Get someone who knows their way around an old system to look at what you have , to advise if you have enough sensors to stay safe )

IMG_9962.jpg

Thanks for all the responses folks. A mate has recommended someone so I am going to get the system serviced to be on the safe side.

I have attached a photo of the little tank in the loft, it has water in it (albeit a little mirky looking) so assume all ok there?

Cheers,
Dave

My advice when moving onto a home with an open flued appliance is to have it serviced - unless you are certain of it's recent service history. These boiler/fire units are particularly hazardous as there is no safe atmospheric device fitted.

I am uneasy with Kris (no offence intended) suggesting you should not worry about the "blowlamp" noise. This COULD indicate a sooted heat exchanger or a damaged/displaced burner end cap or seal.

If you lie on the floor with the boiler alight and observe the flames. they should be nice and blue. If yellow and "floppy" then turn off immediately and contact a RGI. If there are flames running out of the end of the burner (you may not be able to see this though), again turn off.

I take you haven't worked much on baxi back boilers , now when I wrote my post the OP hadn't said the noise was coming from the attic, I served my time on back boilers and every single one if your sitting in the sitting room you hear them fire up with a slight rumbling low noise, which comes from the enclosed space,
Now since the OP has now said its coming from the attic which is a different scenario to original post my view has changed ,
Best to get someone in to check it over, check the chimneys clear, and it's burning fine ,
Older boilers like that ARE VERY NOISEY not like newer sealed units but best to get it checked if your worried , all gas appliances should be regularly serviced especially open flued ones,
Carbon monoxide detectors a must with gas appliances,

I take you haven't worked much on baxi back boilers , now when I wrote my post the OP hadn't said the noise was coming from the attic, I served my time on back boilers and every single one if your sitting in the sitting room you hear them fire up with a slight rumbling low noise, which comes from the enclosed space,
A bit condescending, Kris. I used to fit these and work on them regularly. I didn't say the unit should be whisper quiet - I pointed out that a "blowlamp" noise can be a symptom of a serious issue. With your vast experience you will know this, and both of us thought the OP was talking of boiler noise, not cylinder noise. I stand by my comments, and would point out that I was careful not to be over critical of you. But to tell someone not to worry about a noise, knowing that he has no idea of the history is a little foolhardy. The good thing is that the OP has arranged a visit - he is clearly ahead of the game compared to some of the muppets seeking advice here.

Re the cylinder noise. A long shot, but a noise from a cylinder is often from the ELECTRIC immersion heater. Your switch indicates this is off, but they can be upside down. Is the immersion definitely off?. Is the noise intermittent or cyclical?. Is it worse when hot?

No not atall mate, yes when it comes to gas,, safety is paramount and the OP should defo get an engineer out to have a look, I was merely stating that when u move into a property that has a back boiler which the OP has never experienced b4' it can come across as a very noisey boiler, with the way they're enclosed the burner lit can sound like a blowtorch , ( that's how I'd describe it ) .. I have many customers that still have these that I regularly service n maintain , some u can be sitting in the kitchen or even a bedroom when everything's quiet you can clearly hear her firing up, I just didn't want the OP to panic if it's simply the noise he's not used to but DEFO get an engineer out to check it or even because of the type of boiler with fire get a full service for piece of mind,

Oh well, he didn't get my hint :(

You mean:?
Hi edinburghlad, maybe someone local could have a look at that for you

Did you miss:
Thanks for all the responses folks. A mate has recommended someone so I am going to get the system serviced to be on the safe side.
Cheers,
Dave

Or have I got the wrong end of 't stick?

Oh well thats good you have someone coming round Dave, hope its all ok , keep us informed of any faults / progress you have mate cheers

Chappers your not far from edinburgh are u ?? Thats a good sunday drive to get you away from facebook to look at a back boiler lol ,,

Kidding IAN lol

The immersion is definitely switched off. The loud blowtorch like noise is definitely much louder from the tank upstairs rather than with my ear next to the boiler. I tried running the immersion only tonight and there was no noise whatsoever.

Will get the service done anyway and will report back if anything interesting is noted.

Cheers again everyone.

The immersion is definitely switched off. The loud blowtorch like noise is definitely much louder from the tank upstairs rather than with my ear next to the boiler. I tried running the immersion only tonight and there was no noise whatsoever.

Will get the service done anyway and will report back if anything interesting is noted.

Cheers again everyone.

Does the noise come when heatings on or hot waters on ? or both ? might be air in your coil pipes or kettling because of dirt in the pipes,

You mean:?
Hi edinburghlad, maybe someone local could have a look at that for you

Did you miss:
Cheers,
Dave

Or have I got the wrong end of 't stick?

Yes, considering I'm from Edinburgh ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Back Boiler Central Heating / Hot Water System - Very noisy when running in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
When I put the central heating on the hot water gets drawn through the pump but is then being diverted straight back to the boiler instead of the rads What is this, and how likely is it that it is faulty? That sits in between the hot water to the rads and hot water to the hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators all together in one large room. The issue is with the 4 radiators in the large room. Basically not getting hot, the first 10% of the radiator is...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s also found that when the hot water is set to off on the programe timer, the boiler is still heating up water. I wonder if this is because the engineer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock