Discuss Baxi Back Boiler Central Heating / Hot Water System - Very noisy when running in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I where you I would switch the appliance off and get a gsr engineer in. Not worth the risk with open flued appliances Imo

If the water from the taps is scalding , its probably the systems way of saying , need to put hot water on for a shorter time !
( Get someone who knows their way around an old system to look at what you have , to advise if you have enough sensors to stay safe )

IMG_9962.jpg

Thanks for all the responses folks. A mate has recommended someone so I am going to get the system serviced to be on the safe side.

I have attached a photo of the little tank in the loft, it has water in it (albeit a little mirky looking) so assume all ok there?

Cheers,
Dave

My advice when moving onto a home with an open flued appliance is to have it serviced - unless you are certain of it's recent service history. These boiler/fire units are particularly hazardous as there is no safe atmospheric device fitted.

I am uneasy with Kris (no offence intended) suggesting you should not worry about the "blowlamp" noise. This COULD indicate a sooted heat exchanger or a damaged/displaced burner end cap or seal.

If you lie on the floor with the boiler alight and observe the flames. they should be nice and blue. If yellow and "floppy" then turn off immediately and contact a RGI. If there are flames running out of the end of the burner (you may not be able to see this though), again turn off.

I take you haven't worked much on baxi back boilers , now when I wrote my post the OP hadn't said the noise was coming from the attic, I served my time on back boilers and every single one if your sitting in the sitting room you hear them fire up with a slight rumbling low noise, which comes from the enclosed space,
Now since the OP has now said its coming from the attic which is a different scenario to original post my view has changed ,
Best to get someone in to check it over, check the chimneys clear, and it's burning fine ,
Older boilers like that ARE VERY NOISEY not like newer sealed units but best to get it checked if your worried , all gas appliances should be regularly serviced especially open flued ones,
Carbon monoxide detectors a must with gas appliances,

I take you haven't worked much on baxi back boilers , now when I wrote my post the OP hadn't said the noise was coming from the attic, I served my time on back boilers and every single one if your sitting in the sitting room you hear them fire up with a slight rumbling low noise, which comes from the enclosed space,
A bit condescending, Kris. I used to fit these and work on them regularly. I didn't say the unit should be whisper quiet - I pointed out that a "blowlamp" noise can be a symptom of a serious issue. With your vast experience you will know this, and both of us thought the OP was talking of boiler noise, not cylinder noise. I stand by my comments, and would point out that I was careful not to be over critical of you. But to tell someone not to worry about a noise, knowing that he has no idea of the history is a little foolhardy. The good thing is that the OP has arranged a visit - he is clearly ahead of the game compared to some of the muppets seeking advice here.

Re the cylinder noise. A long shot, but a noise from a cylinder is often from the ELECTRIC immersion heater. Your switch indicates this is off, but they can be upside down. Is the immersion definitely off?. Is the noise intermittent or cyclical?. Is it worse when hot?

No not atall mate, yes when it comes to gas,, safety is paramount and the OP should defo get an engineer out to have a look, I was merely stating that when u move into a property that has a back boiler which the OP has never experienced b4' it can come across as a very noisey boiler, with the way they're enclosed the burner lit can sound like a blowtorch , ( that's how I'd describe it ) .. I have many customers that still have these that I regularly service n maintain , some u can be sitting in the kitchen or even a bedroom when everything's quiet you can clearly hear her firing up, I just didn't want the OP to panic if it's simply the noise he's not used to but DEFO get an engineer out to check it or even because of the type of boiler with fire get a full service for piece of mind,

Oh well, he didn't get my hint :(

You mean:?
Hi edinburghlad, maybe someone local could have a look at that for you

Did you miss:
Thanks for all the responses folks. A mate has recommended someone so I am going to get the system serviced to be on the safe side.
Cheers,
Dave

Or have I got the wrong end of 't stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Back Boiler Central Heating / Hot Water System - Very noisy when running in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock