Discuss Baxi Solo Overheat tripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarloCol

Anyone with knowledge of older Baxi boilers?

Last week, had a MagnaClean fitted to my 10 year-old Baxi Solo 2 60 SR which serves a Y-plan heating system (pumped to rads, but gravity DHW).

Since then, the Overheat Cut-off keeps tripping. When fitting the Magna Clean, it seems the engineer removed something called an 'adapter tee with injector washer' that the Baxi Solo manual says should be used in combined pump/gravity systems such as mine. The manual states: "Failure to fit the injector washer will result in reverse circulation in the DHW circuit".

The engineer says this is not the cause of the problem, and probably the heat exchanger is all furred up.

He says the injector washer merely inhibits circulation and the only effect of removing it will be warm radiators when just using the DHW. I'm not convinced. The manual refers to reverse circulation IN the DHW circuit, not from it.

Any thoughts please, before I contemplate some kind of chemical clean to see if that resolves the overheating?

Cheers

Your hw won't work the way it has been altered. He has created a high point on the return which will stop it circulating.

Put the tee back the way it was with the restrictor fitted. If you have lost it you can make something up with a 22 x 15 reducer, and fit the magnaclean on to the heating return somewhere. If there is no room above the boiler put it somewhere else where it is less of an eyesore.

untitled.jpg

i dont want to look at those pics yet i would NOT disable the overheat stat until I was 100% certain, why would it work for 10 years with no lockouts ?

i agree with tamz completely , but i,d get matey back to put it right , and do the OH bypass as the MI,s state .
good luck mate

My thanks to all contributors on this, but I am sure the rest of you won't object to me saying particular thanks to tamz and ferret for their detailed and useful posts and for taking the time and trouble to stick with it.

Ferret: great idea to upload photos (never occurred to me!)

Tamz: impressive IT and photo editing skills, by the way!

I'll post the outcome, but it will be 2 or 3 weeks as I am out and about and the guy I used is busy too.

I have a baxi solo 3 pfl 60 boiler that over heats all the time needing to be reset, it is serviced by british gas who in the 5 or 6 years we have had it have been out so many times they put my service contract up to silly money and want to replace it with a nice one for 3500 !! I am so sick of them and this bloody thing in the kitchen , NO not her the boiler !
I am in Blyth Northumberland can anyone who knows what they are doing get in touch. why the hell it over heats I dont know, Bgas come fiddle run away and it isnt fixed. last time he wanted to power flush the system and charge 600 - 700 for that !

is your pump faulty? the solo relies on a good pump being a low water content boiler,you could have a corroded system and thats the systems fault not the boiler independents will clean it just as well(or better than)bg for much less

Thanks for the reply that was quick, I dont know the pump seems ok , well it buzzes and the like when its working, how would I know if it was the fault

They recon of i pay them 3500 it will solve all the problems. So would spending 10k on a new car solve the problems I have with that! this time the boiler just isnt on no lights nothing going on. yes it has been overheating and cutting out after they were last out. but now its just off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Solo Overheat tripping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back