Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Bend it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nmf 1 bend it

Does anyone out there still bend 15mm copper pipe anymore? I do. I see many installations where elbows have been used when a 90deg bend would have done the job

The use of an elbow requires, the cost of the elbow,time to cut the pipes, time and material to clean the ends,solder flux and gas to complete the job, and on completion the slight risk of a leak.

In my option to complete a bend takes around 60% of the time taken to complete an elbow without the costs involved in the above and no risk of a leak.

Ok you can buy a lot of elbows and material for the cost of a bender but for you younger ones it could pay off in time.

I accept that plastic plays a big part in today's demands, I give plastic and copper quotes for each job, surprisingly many accept the copper price.

Finally in using a bend , no risk of setting fire to the curtains
Comments please.

Sent from my iPad

I use a bit of both, although in my opinion a well soldered elbow looks neater than a bend doesn't take up as much room

Alex thanks for the reply I agree, the asthetics are of course each persons opinion . I am glad you put the comment (a well soldered elbow). I have seen many examples of soldering where a bend would have been much neater.

I'll use a bend if I can, if not I'll use an elbow - probably the same as most plumbers.
I think a bend looks better than an elbow most of the time, that might be because I appreciate the skill. I used to be in awe of the bending work on the piping for urinals until I found out they come pre-bent when you buy them :(

Truth is many plumbers never learnt how to do it right. I notice this also, - every turn is a soldered elbow.
A bend done in a bender is more swept and has much less resistance compared to an elbow that adds to the resistance.
I see few now bend 28mm, which is straightforward if you are used to it.
Places that elbows are better are where you want that square look and able to mitre the pipe insulation if fitting it after pipes installed.
Also better an elbow if tight space - like coming up from notched joists to rads etc.
I would use an elbow on a 28mn pipe cold feed to a cylinder male fitting. No benefit in giving myself an accurate task of bending it for no reason.

Last edited:
Plumbers normally use a fitting where they can't fit the long radius of a bent pipe!!

When doing a horizontal run to a rad what's the norm when attaching to a TRV/lockshield, a bent compound curve or a couple of elbows?

Gmaryine. If the horizontal run was say ar skirting level with the rad at a higher level I would form a right angle bend the an off set bend from the skirting to rise vertically into the valve. Thanks for your comment

In the above situation, horizontal run to rad. I would bend in horizontal plane, maybe not a full 90 degree, and come vertical into valve with elbow. That way I've less chance of setting skirting on fire.

Here's some I done for a washing machine the other day (I never run out of elbows, honest) image.jpg

Jcsplumblng. That's a good photo , very impressive. No elbows so no cost . No leaks and less flow resistance. Regards nicolas

That looks neat.
I've always considered bending to be the neatest. Though I'm lashing in plastic and mlcp in the loft conversion I'm doing at the moment.
Mostly because it gives me the option of no hidden joints and also its fast.
And I don't need any off the expensive fittings because I've used manifolds.

Soft drawn copper has a role also in plumbing. Never used that much but ideal in certain situations.
mlcp is cheaper and also has a role. You can bend the mlcp really easily across your knee.

Last edited by a moderator:
if it can fit, i bend it from 15-54mm doesnt matter for me i like formed bends

Last edited:
Tubela 15-54mm Ratchet Assisted Copper Bender mebbe?
Makes life easy.

I've bent fridge copper up to 1 5/8" in an A frame. Heavy guage copper too.
Thats about 42mm.

Sometimes we would use a forklift to hold the A frame down.

Last edited by a moderator:
At collage we were always told to pull bends especially in cold water mains to reduce noise in pipework.
That was mid 80s, not sure what collages recommend nowadays.

I had an apprentice before pulling bends then cutting them to size. I collected up all the bits he cut off and after 2 days he had about 2 metres of 22mm and 3m of 15mm in scrap. So I charged him for it. He soon learnt to watch properly as ÂŁ15 on a ÂŁ80 week wage stung him.

I had an apprentice before pulling bends then cutting them to size. I collected up all the bits he cut off and after 2 days he had about 2 metres of 22mm and 3m of 15mm in scrap. So I charged him for it. He soon learnt to watch properly as ÂŁ15 on a ÂŁ80 week wage stung him.

thats why they use elbows im not that harsh as the bits that get cut off get used for something else eg shot pieces after stop cocks from drains etc, but get the point

In the above situation, horizontal run to rad. I would bend in horizontal plane, maybe not a full 90 degree, and come vertical into valve with elbow. That way I've less chance of setting skirting on fire.
That's my preferred way as well
Although some local authority instals I did 10/12 yrs back insisted on no formed bends at all, every change of direction had to be with a fitting
Although I was a bit of a rebel at the time and put a couple of sets under the floor boards:2guns:

Tubela 15-54mm Ratchet Assisted Copper Bender mebbe?
Makes life easy.

I've bent fridge copper up to 1 5/8" in an A frame. Heavy guage copper too.
Thats about 42mm.

Sometimes we would use a forklift to hold the A frame down.

I've used hydraulic benders up to 2" iron. When I was a lad (!!!) the fitter who was old skool had to bend some 3" so he got a load of sand, packed the piece of pipe with it and capped the ends, then gave it some serious heat for ages until it was glowing in the middle and bent it with a set of 4ft Stilsons. Not seen it done since!

i would have used an elbow on the right hand external corner and again round the pipe on the left and bent the rest. two couplings either side of a offset looks wrong

Same ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bend it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock