Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Best tool I ever bought: Crystal Ball in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Went to fit a toilet seat to a back to wall WC tiled all around.

Thought - not a big problemo. Prob a pain to get in and out, bit of making good, no real faff.

Then thought, I paid for it - might as well use it. Whipped out the Crystal Ball.

Good job I did because what awaited me was: Twist the push button off the top of the cistern lid and the cheap nasty rod type flush valve inside will literally fall to pieces. And sit there like an indecipherable mess of plastic tat. Then you'll find out the cistern is FULL of that coloured ball liquid stuff that stains your hands purple. Like 3 inches of semi-solid goo at the bottom - in which will be swimming the destroyed remains of a once proud Eastern European - possibly Soviet - flush-valve with built in "self-destruct on descovery" function.

The WC won't have an iso, nor any room to fit one and the customer won't know where their internal stopcock is so water will have to be turned off in the street. So you won't be able to wash out the cistern, or wash the purple off your hands, or arms, or off the toilet seat or floor where it was oozing it's way about - until it's all reconnected. So you'll have to install new flush valve and hope the goo won't prevent it sealing.

The bolts for the old toilet seat won't - of course - undo so you'll have to cut them off. The pan connector (hidden up until removing loo of course) has been installed badly and there's is feces leaking out. Mixed with purple goo it's quite modern art, really. Then it turns out - once you would have got it back in place with great difficulty the inlet will stop working too! So you'll need to change that as well. Finally you'll get the water back on and spend about 15 minutes removing purple goo from every thing in sight.

But luckily the customer will come in after, look pleased and say "Ooh it's looks like nobody has even been here." And plus, since you gave a range instead of a fixed price you will at least be compensated fully for your time.

So I thought 'Thanks for the warning Crystal Ball, but I shall proceed nonetheless!'

Most decent back to wall wc,s you can change a toilet seat without taking it out!!

I just use the ones with top fixing hinges.

:wink_smile:

Come on be realistic, all it is is changing a toilet seat, 30 minutes at top, blind folded 45 minutes and max of £45!

Stop milking it...... next you'll be on watch dog tapping the side of the toilet........

Come on be realistic, all it is is changing a toilet seat, 30 minutes at top, blind folded 45 minutes and max of £45!

Stop milking it...... next you'll be on watch dog tapping the side of the toilet........
ah but he fitted a torbeck so it all had to come back out:eek:

I was waiting for a comment like this and would have been very disappointed if I hadn't got it...

glad to oblige ss had my fingers burnt with torbeck/oppella never again fluidmasters the new daddy now shame because torbeck was a great product once but time and efficency retards come in,ballsed it up left bits out to save money and its still happening torbeck is being associated with poor quality,callbacks cost US money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best tool I ever bought: Crystal Ball in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock