Search the forum,

Discuss Best way to lay rad pipes through a wide chimney breast in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

It's an old nunnery with massive breasts! 3 floors and basement. Chimney had 6 fireplaces feeding it. As I am 1st floor (English)/2nd floor (USA) I have a wide breast with 2 blocked off fireplaces. The firepace flues from below run up through and into the flat above and on through the loft to the stack. I'd like to run 2x 15mm for rads through the breasts but it will be blind. Even if I were to take the panel out of the fireplace and unblock it, I would still not have access. Ripping it all out is not really an option because of the other flats.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• pipes through chimney breasts.png
    pipes through chimney breasts.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 22
If you don’t know what is inside the wall - particularly if it is rubble filled - you really need to drill an oversized hole through the wall, duct it then run the pipes (insulated) through the duct.

If the wall is solid all the way through, you may be able to core drill it (circa 60mm diameter). If it is rubble filled, it probably needs to be drilled with a conventional hammer drill - the rubble will drop down as you drill through it, so maintaining a clear hole can be problematic.

If you don’t know what is inside the wall - particularly if it is rubble filled - you really need to drill an oversized hole through the wall, duct it then run the pipes (insulated) through the duct.

If the wall is solid all the way through, you may be able to core drill it (circa 60mm diameter). If it is rubble filled, it probably needs to be drilled with a conventional hammer drill - the rubble will drop down as you drill through it, so maintaining a clear hole can be problematic.
Thank you :)

1. If you breach any of the other flues you are going to have serious problem with products of combustion from any of the other properties still using (current or future owners) the fireplaces, and will compromise the fire integrity of the building.
2. I'd take a channel out at the base of the fire openings, removing the fire surrounds as necessary then re-cover. Still a risk, but at least you'd know if damage had been done, and be in a better position to fix it.

If this is a set of flats you are probably better off not attempting to take the direct route through. It's quite likely that the chimney itself is outside your property so you'll need permission from whoever does own it. (If I were the owner I would not give a flat owner permission for this sort of work. Lots of things could go wrong...)

I'd go with the @steadyon approach. My preference would be to avoid the problem entirely by using one larger radiator on the easily accessed side. If this isn't possible, I'd want to route the pipes carefully around the breast and box in neatly if necessary.

Reply to Best way to lay rad pipes through a wide chimney breast in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock