Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Bit of a situation today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LPC

Serviced a (very old) gas fire 2 weeks ago for a 93 year old man via a charity which helps old and disabled people. Never been serviced in 30+ years.
Did the service, all fine. Tightness test before and after, obviously. Left a warning notice that the fire had no flame failure device and the knob/gas tap was very stiff.

Get a call 2 days later from customer. He had to call gas supplier as the knob came off the fire. This knob was almost bloody welded on it had never been taken off before because it had never been serviced; so I thought well now it's been removed it's not as tight as before and he's obviously pulled it off (the gas tap action is very stiff).
He said gas supplier sorted it. Said i'd come and have a look, but he says don't worry.

Fast forward to today; Get a voicemail from his daughter. Big gas leak apparently, so much so it was the neighbour that smelt it, not the old fella. Gas supplier called, meter capped. Leak on the fire apparently.
Ring them back; ranting and raving, calling gas safe etc etc then hung up on me. Offered numerous times to attend immediately and sort out any leak and get his gas cooker going again.

So, what would you do from here? There was definitely no leak when I left. Gas supplier attended 2 days later and obv didn't find or smell a leak. Then 10 or so days later, leak, and i'm being blamed. My money is he's left the knob on a little, which is why I filled out a warning notice about it. But obviously there is no proof I did a tightness before I left (I did).

Never ever had this in 4 years of having my own business. Where do I stand if they go further?

Sounds like an awkward situation.

I would imagine at worst, gas safe will ask for an inspection. You can have your say, they'll do a few checks and be on their way.

No one died so I can't see it going any further than that. These things happen.

Also, if you were not the last person to touch it, you can't really be accountable, for all you know the gas supplier guy could have hammered the knob back on with a lump hammer.

Last edited:
Well if someone was there after ya then surely they were the last man at the job ?

Is it not worth attempting to visit and smooth things over and have a gander ?.

In fact - edit
Stay away

Last edited by a moderator:
If he has someone out after you to fix the knob on the fire they must have to be gas safe, there fore THEY where the last engineer in the property NOT you so there is no responsibility on you if they left a leak

Well if someone was there after ya then surely they were the last man at the job ?

Is it not worth attempting to visit and smooth things over and have a gander ?

Well yes, that's what I thought. He obviously didn't smell gas when he attended, but no idea if he did a tightness test or not. But i'm thinking that kind of covers me? I've no idea what he did to the fire but he obviously touched it to 'repair it'.

Yeah, i've thought about that. But I don't want to turn up and be met with hostility and make things worse. I've offered to rectify on the phone, and if they don't want me there and I wasn't the last gas engineer to touch the appliance then I guess I have nothing to worry about?

Sounds like it could be a leak on the gas tap. Don't worry about it mate, as long as you're happy with how you worked on it sometimes these things occur. Like previously said no one was hurt. Grab a beer and chill.

Yeah, maybe I will just have a beer. It's been a long week and this is not really what I need at the end of it. Cheers!

Yeah, maybe I will just have a beer. It's been a long week and this is not really what I need at the end of it. Cheers!

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you know yourself that you did everything right and you did a TT before you left they theres no point getting stressed,

For all's you know the guy that fixed the knob might not even have a clue how to fix a fire and might of undone a few nuts

Isn't a TT proving that when you left you had no leak unto that point?

Anything can happen after that

You may get a letter for inspection at most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bit of a situation today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock