Search the forum,

Discuss bit of advice re any guarantee in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumberpete

Gas Engineer
i did a bathroom suite for a property developer.and during installation he was complaining about the old water stains on the 40 year old ceiling below.anyway i fitted the suite and checked every joint at least ten times. even went back next day to replace the bath trap.i showed him everything was working and told him to turn off the water while no one was working in the house and to keep an eye out in case any leaks develop.4 days later he phones me to say there has been a leak.i turn up and check the bath and the hot tap adaptor is leaking and he and his pal are ripping down the kitchen ceiling below.he then states that i have to replace the ceiling.i told his he had no right ripping down the ceiling.he then goes on to to say he hopes the electrics and the 40 year old chipboard flooring are ok.i did ask at the start if they had done other houses and he said yes.i then asked about his regular workforce he replied he keeps changing it.any advice is appreciated.and how do we plumbers cover our bum.thanks

he is a chancer and has no intention of paying you.
act smart and tell him there is no way that will be covered now as your insurers will want to take a look, so tough give me the money or i rip it back out.

does sound alittle dodgy to me, how much water leaked out from your joint?

Have you been paid? if so just ignore him he obviously wants a new ceiling paid for by you.

he has already paid me into my bank account.and i dont know how much water has leaked. i did say to him why did you take down the ceiling as all you should have done is made a couple of holes in the ceiling to drain the water and it can then be repaired.he replied he couldn't leave a ceiling like that.

you now understand why his labour does not stay with him long im afraid. Did he take any photos of the damage? or even better did you take any photos of the old damage before you started work?

He has no proof that your leak caused the ceiling damage. you only have his word for it. If he had left the ceiling alone he might have had a claim. I would tell him to do one.

I wouldn't panic because before he goes anywhere with this he has to give you notice in writing of the problem. You are then meant to notify your liability insurer. your insurer will make representation and then the liability is decided. It looks like he just wanted a new ceiling I would tell him to (a popular 2 word expression ) or more likely a thick lip. It might be a put this down to experience and walk away one because if he hasn't paid you he has no intention to do so.

you now understand why his labour does not stay with him long im afraid. Did he take any photos of the damage? or even better did you take any photos of the old damage before you started work?

he showed me a photo with a fresh water mark on the outer and old fellow stain in the middle.i didn't take any photo as i always make sure there is no leaks and i don't expect even with a leak for that to occur. to take a full ceiling down is pretty dramatic.surely if he had turned the water off at end of work as advised and to keep an eye out in case a leak occurs.what more is a plumber meant to do.thanks everyone.

Chancer. Tell him you'll make him a cuppa and while he drinks it you'll explain how things work in the real world.

I'm afraid I'd have to fight myself from ripping his head clean off of his shoulder after I fought this urge, I'd stop dealing with him completely.

If he wanted to claim off of me, he'd have a fight on his hands and it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Lesson 1. be very carefull when doing work for builders. allways want job done asap, cheep as possable, then you try to get paid !long list of reasons why you have to wait for payment, Avoid builders if you can.

the thing is he could have created the leak or even created the water stain he should not have removed the ceiling walk away pete

as above, easily create a leak to claim for a new ceiling!! politely tell him to do-one and ignore his calls. Hes probably done this to that many that he will give in and try it on with the next chap.... who will hopefully smack him with a piece of 22mm copper.

it's obvious that he was going to fit a new ceiling as it had damp patches on it already. just trying it on. tell him where to go!

the thing is he could have created the leak or even created the water stain he should not have removed the ceiling walk away pete

i know that is what i am thinking.there was two of us there who both checked for leaks and found none.i am supposed to be going tomorrow so i will let you all know if he tries to add anything else.

you say you and your mate found no leaks but the next day there was one. do you think one was created as an excuse?

He is a chancer, If you just stick up for yourself and tell him that there is no chance you are paying for it chances are he will leave you alone as he know's himself that he is trying it on.

He has gone ahead with the work without your convent therefore it's his problem.

1 - if there was a leak call you out
2- you go out and investigate leak and damage
3 - you come to the conclusion of what's damaged and what your willing to replace.
4 - once agreed you! Get the problem sorted and decide whether you can foot the bill or get your insurance involved.

Never tell them to check for leaks, gives them insecurity. Once checked by yourself and your co worker you should take this as enough.

He's trying it on and he's gone wrong way about it.

Tell him you have procedures to deal with this sort of thing and he has taken things into his own hands by ripping ceiling down before you or your insurers have had time to inspect.

Hi,

Rule 1) Never give a chancer your insurance company policy details !

I have gone as far to tell similar that I hadn't renewed my cover and never had one follow up, I have a very good business relationship with my broker who recorded my notification of a possible claim just in case.

We pay insurance to protect ourselves and our genuine customers not scum who engage in sharp practices.

What was outcome of this?
i replaced the ceiling at the best part of ÂŁ200.a lesson learned from now on i will make sure the customer signs a satisfaction receipt and i might even take a short video as proof.he definitely loosened the back tap adaptor but why it took days to show water is baffling because it was leaking bad and would have been visible immediately.sorry for the late reply as i am just back from Wales.

Wales is the second nicest nation in the UK next to Scotland of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bit of advice re any guarantee in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock