Discuss Black plastic water supply pipe - please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Oh yes! We're on spring water here & there were miscellaneous tanks collecting the overspill from the spring tank to feed garden/kennels/troughs etc. Several different sizes of black alkathene,(there are different wall thicknesses in the same nominal size too! - so different OD for the same 1/2" or whatever pipe:eek:).
I've replaced the collection of old tanks with a couple of IBCs plus some "new" blue pipe - hence the need for "constructive solutions" involving lathes, compression fittings, PTFE & profanity! Those universal couplings are a breath of fresh air for these problems.
My house stopcock is like yours too, with a 3/4" black alkathene connection to a compression stopcock which originally fed 1/2" copper via a reducer. When I re-plumbed all in plastic ( we have very aggressive water which eats copper which I found AFTER replumbing in new copper originally in 1979 :mad:) I used a new 22mm compression stopcock with some special olives that were available to convert that specific size of alkathene to 22mm fittings. Touch wood it has never been a problem, but I have a spare olive tied to the stopcock just in case!

Hi all. I thought i'd post an update on the final outcome. I fitted one of those philmac universal transition couplers as suggested by ShaunCorbs. Problem solved. They are a bit bulky but better than what was in place before.

I'd like to thank everyone that contributed to this thread

You need to cut off a about 30 - 40mm and take it to a local plumbers merchants - not a mainstream one like wolsey ect...

If its the horrible thick plastic pipe I'm thinking of, it was put in during a copper shortage late 70s, all the fittings are glued and take around 4 - 6 hours to set

It's very common in my area, however you can now get a compression fitting which goes onto the black plastic

Black Polyorc 3/8" PVC Pipe to 15mm Copper Adaptor | PlumbinBits

There are many sizes that's why the merchant will need to see the pipe to slide the fitting on to make sure it's okay

Wont be polyorc it will be black alkathene

Reply to Black plastic water supply pipe - please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back