Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked soil pipe after installing replacement toilet in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured down, and works OK, apart from the toilet water after flush is draining away slowly after flush, like there's a block somewhere in the soil pipe.

It's connected to the downstairs main soil pipe that also has 2 sinks, a dishwasher and bath connected. If I drop a lot of water down one of the sinks (bucket for example) then I'm getting bubbles in the toilet, and vice versa.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of how I might have gone wrong, or if it just sounds like a blockage in the main soil pipe, i'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Do you have a picture of the side of the old toilet

Could be an air problem

Do you have a picture of the side of the old toilet

Could be an air problem
Hi this is the old toilet (not sure if this is what you meant) and I’ve included a photo of the new toilet I’ve connected
IMG_4871.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4870.jpeg
    IMG_4870.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 21
The pan please eg picture of the side like the new one

Spot on

No it’s a stnd pan so in theory should be fine nothing accidentally fell down the pipe ?

No - that was sort of impossible as the soil pipe (terracotta one) was already there and horizitonal - so I just attached new connection to it.

What’s strange is that at first I bought the wrong connection, and the toilet was too far out from the wall, and it flushed absolutely fine. But I changed the connection between toilet and soil pipe to the one shown, and now I’ve got this issue.

There wasn’t any instruction book in it tbh I think your going to have to pull it off and check etc

hi Chris - the connector between soil pipe and connector pipe was only about half the width of the one I replaced, so I put a bit of waterproof tape around to make sure it didn’t leak. It’s not uphill, but pretty flat like the one I replaced. Should I try removing tape? Thanks!

Is the upstairs soil pipe connected to the downstairs soil pipe and then to the stack with an open vent?

Or is upstairs connected direct to an open vented stack pipe and downstairs has a separate connection to the vented stack?

Or is there no open vent at all?

If it's the first and or third and you get bubbles in the downstairs toilet / sinks when you flush then there's a (partial) blockage below / downstream of toilet / sinks, the pipe is filing up and pushing air out through any waste pipe connected to it.

It may be coincidence or you may have disturbed something left in the brown soil pipe.

My money is on some solidified “matter”, that was in the horizontal pipe, had broken away during the disturbance and is now causing a blockage further down.
First thing I’d do is lift a manhole or two outside and clear as necessary.
If no joy, it’s time to take out th d new loo and investigate further.

Is the upstairs soil pipe connected to the downstairs soil pipe and then to the stack with an open vent?

Or is upstairs connected direct to an open vented stack pipe and downstairs has a separate connection to the vented stack?

Or is there no open vent at all?

If it's the first and or third and you get bubbles in the downstairs toilet / sinks when you flush then there's a (partial) blockage below / downstream of toilet / sinks, the pipe is filing up and pushing air out through any waste pipe connected to it.

It may be coincidence or you may have disturbed something left in the brown soil pipe.
Hiya - thanks for your help. The upstairs is connected to a separate external soil pipe that was put in when we added a new bathroom. This has an open vent and is working fine.

The downs stairs plumbing still uses the old original soil pipe.

Today I’ve tried replacing the vent on the downstairs soil pipe. When it’s off completely the toilet flushes without problem. However when it’s on, I’m getting the same problem.

Does this all point to a blockage somewhere below the surface?

Thanks for your help

Yep blockage if you flush enough it will start to back up

Sorry for the late post on this but just wanted to say thanks for your help. It was a problem underground. Had a blockage underground and once fixed, everything worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help!

Reply to Blocked soil pipe after installing replacement toilet in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
My soil pipe on the downstairs toilet seems to be partially blocked. Now I know it can be rodded but I was thinking of another way. With the toilet removed and exposing the soil pipe I was thinking of making a reducer to fit over the 4 inch pipe down to a garden hose pipe size and then turn the...
Replies
Views
T
Hi all, seeking advice on my toilet. (Layman here, please be gentle with me.) When we flush the loo upstairs, it flushes fine (therefore assuming no suggestion of any actual blockage) but after the flush we get a rumbly gurgling from deep within the pipework somewhere and the water level in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to create a cloakroom toilet in our utility room, theres already hot and cold feed so thats one job made slightly easier, thankfully. The problem I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm a DIYer and have a problematic toilet setup to fix: The waste pipe was installed too high for waste to flow out from a standard toilet spigot, so I want to install a wall-hung toilet on a frame to get some extra height. To put it where I want it though, I'll need to rotate the bottom...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Not sure if it's a plumbers job or another trade but thought I'd ask. I am installing a new toilet downstairs next to an outside wall. There is a 3 way inspection/access chamber about 1.5 metres outside this point which I plan on going into. It has one inlet in use from the upstairs WC...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock