Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Blocking Up a Gap in Waste Pipe in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Erica Davis

Erica Davis New Member

Hi, I have recently removed the broken dishwasher we inherited with our new house. The waste pipe for the dishwasher was connected to the same waste pipe for the washing machine. Now the dishwasher and its waste pipe have been removed it has left a open gap (see picture). Due to the waste pipe for the washing machine being inserted above I need to block off the gap below. What is the best (and quickest) way of doing this? Can i get some sort of a plug/stopper to put in it?

IMG_1507543784826.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any chance of a few more pics of the black pipe where it goes etc

Looks un trapped

3. Plumb Loco

Plumb Loco New Member

If it was me, I’d cut the vertical pipe just below the dishwasher connector, then, cut off the connector, and get a 40mm straight push fit connector from B&Q or similar and put the pipe back in.
    The vertical height will only be about two inches lower and should not make any difference washing machine waste.

4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

A washing machine/dishwasher waste is supposed to have a trap. If it has a trap then yes you can do what is mentioned above. If not fit a washing machine standpipe but as shauncorbs said a couple more pics would be good.

5. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Cut the bend off and fit a washing machine trap job done. Cheers kop

Screenshot_2017-10-11-04-05-14.png

6. sammathias

sammathias GSR

But its solvent weld pipe :rolleyes:

7. Harvest Fields

It will still fit. They are designed to.

8. sammathias

sammathias GSR

Only been a plumber for 12 years and never come across a standard push fit fitting fitting solvent pipe...push fit adapter coupling yes.

9. sammathias

sammathias GSR

Maybe just my part of the world?

10. Harvest Fields

I have never had an issue. Maybe I have been lucky or non of the pipes have been solvent?:p:p

11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Very old I think marley fits normal solvent waste

12. Stigster

Stigster Plumber

A compression waste coupling can usually be made to fit but King of Pipes has the best solution, especially if the W/M waste doesn't already have a trap.