Discuss Boiler connection 22mm in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a 40CDi combi boiler in a 1920s house. The heating does not get hot just warm. I have 22mm from the boiler to under the floor but then connects to original half inch/15mm copper lagged with hessian. I believe I am losing heat as some of the runs are quite long. A local plumber said I need 28mm flow and return at the boiler , connecting into the 22mm to increase the heat flow. What do you recommend. I can’t get under the floors because of laminate, vinyl and tiles. The plumber suggests connecting 28mm from boiler to 22mm where it goes into the floor downstairs and to the upstairs.

I have a 40CDi combi boiler in a 1920s house. The heating does not get hot just warm. I have 22mm from the boiler to under the floor but then connects to original half inch/15mm copper lagged with hessian. I believe I am losing heat as some of the runs are quite long. A local plumber said I need 28mm flow and return at the boiler , connecting into the 22mm to increase the heat flow. What do you recommend. I can’t get under the floors because of laminate, vinyl and tiles. The plumber suggests connecting 28mm from boiler to 22mm where it goes into the floor downstairs and to the upstairs.
Tell us a bit more please. How many rooms, how many rads, number of bathrooms, type of house and insulation and glazing. Has it been serviced, do you have a filter has it been dosed with inhibitor do the rads warm at the top bottom. These are all questions your plumber ought to be asking. Centralheatking

22mm usually for main flow and return 15mm tails to radiators. Need to upgrade the pipework completely if 15mm runs are being used for main flow and return. It's a pain, but get a hatch cut or lift the floors to get it sorted. Once it's done it's done.

A 15mm pipe will only carry somewhere in the mid 20,000 BThU's on an open vented system and maybe a tad more on closed/sealed. At a push you may get near to 30,000 but I wouldn't bank on it. There are lots of factors involved and each installation is different but it sounds like you need to enlarge the pipework to suit the flow required by the emitters (rads etc). Your plumber/Heating Engineer should be able to calculate the output from the system and going off distances and routes, tell you what size pipe is required.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think glazing or insulation are an issue here as I not saying the house is not getting warm, It’s the radiators that are not getting warm. The heating system has been checked, flushed and inhibitor added so this is all good. The 22mm from the boiler is a short run to the under floor and to the upstairs. Once under the floor and upstairs then it is 15mm. I have a 40 kw boiler and have been advised this is more than adequate to heat the radiators. My plumber believes I am not delivering enough heat through the 15mm pipe work due to the long runs and poor insulation. He has suggested increasing the short run of 22mm to 28mm straight off of the boiler to increase heat flow. Is this an option.

A 15mm pipe will only carry somewhere in the mid 20,000 BThU's on an open vented system and maybe a tad more on closed/sealed. At a push you may get near to 30,000 but I wouldn't bank on it. There are lots of factors involved and each installation is different but it sounds like you need to enlarge the pipework to suit the flow required by the emitters (rads etc). Your plumber/Heating Engineer should be able to calculate the output from the system and going off distances and routes, tell you what size pipe is required.
I tried two new back to back 3 kw panel rads in my last house on a 15mm drop. It was not possible to get both up to roasting heat. Centralheatking

Tell us a bit more please. How many rooms, how many rads, number of bathrooms, type of house and insulation and glazing. Has it been serviced, do you have a filter has it been dosed with inhibitor do the rads warm at the top bottom. These are all questions your plumber ought to be asking. Centralheatking
Before anybody suggests new pipes etc. it is common sense to see if the existing system is operating properly as per my post above ...Chking

Do you think/believe connecting 28mm to the 22mm outlets on the boiler will make a difference ???
A few feet of 28 won’t make a noticeable difference if that’s what you’re asking. A general rule for an average sized central heating system would be 22 on the main flow and return with short stalks of 15 to the rads, then you’ll get good flow and nice hot rads.

but as chKING says, we need more info really.

What’s the boiler temp doing when the heating is called

also new boiler / install / has it ever worked ?

I tried two new back to back 3 kw panel rads in my last house on a 15mm drop. It was not possible to get both up to roasting heat. Centralheatking
Maybe not. There are other factors involved as you no doubt know.
[automerge]1580290217[/automerge]
Do you think/believe connecting 28mm to the 22mm outlets on the boiler will make a difference ???
As @centralheatking said, we need more info. Do you know the output of the central heating system upstairs and down?

Last edited:

Reply to Boiler connection 22mm in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock