Discuss Boiler cuts out after 30 seconds in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I don’t have the first clue about boilers so I really need Your help.
I have a glow worm micron boiler which looks about 20 years old along with a water tank.

we had a radiator changed 2 days ago and last night the boiler switched its self off.
the boiler we have is very plain with no window to see the flame or pressure gauge and only has 2 lights, one says reset and one says burner on. They have been flashing like mad but we have no manual for the boiler as we have only recently moved in.
The guy who fitted the radiator says there is no air in the system so it isn’t an airlock. I turned the temperate knob anti clockwise to turn it off and the turned it back clockwise and the boiler started up but then cut out after about 30 seconds. I know this is very vague but any help or tips would be appreciated. Thank you

1. If the system was drained down to fit the new radiator, then the plumber is quite adventurous to suggest there is no air in the system, unless he / she has specifically checked it.
2. The symptoms you describe are generally caused by poor circulation of the heating water. This can be caused by numerous things, including (in order of likeliness):
2a. Air locks.
2b. Faulty motorised valves.
2c. A failing or faulty pump.
2d. Blocked pipework.
3. If the boiler failed on first use after fitting of new radiator, then the plumber who fitted the new radiator has at least a moral obligation to diagnose, and preferably fix, the problem. If the problem is his or hers, I'd expect the fix for free, otherwise you would have to pay for it.
4. If it worked for a day or two with the new radiator, then it may well be a coincidental problem. You might ask the plumber to diagnose and fix, but expect to pay for this.

1. If the system was drained down to fit the new radiator, then the plumber is quite adventurous to suggest there is no air in the system, unless he / she has specifically checked it.
2. The symptoms you describe are generally caused by poor circulation of the heating water. This can be caused by numerous things, including (in order of likeliness):
2a. Air locks.
2b. Faulty motorised valves.
2c. A failing or faulty pump.
2d. Blocked pipework.
3. If the boiler failed on first use after fitting of new radiator, then the plumber who fitted the new radiator has at least a moral obligation to diagnose, and preferably fix, the problem. If the problem is his or hers, I'd expect the fix for free, otherwise you would have to pay for it.
4. If it worked for a day or two with the new radiator, then it may well be a coincidental problem. You might ask the plumber to diagnose and fix, but expect to pay for this.

thanks for this, he said he was struggling to get the pressure back up in the water tank so he said he cheated and put the water straight into the radiator/towel radiator

he was messing about the thing pictured below for hours trying to get pressure.

he will be coming back tomorrow as he has fitted our bathroom and kitchen. Turns out we also have a leak in the kitchen under the sink at the copper pipe next to the stopcock. We have managed to stop that for the minute but god knows what’s happened there as well! You need to know about every trade so you can question things easier lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 5

Reply to Boiler cuts out after 30 seconds in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, looking for some advice. We have had an issue with our boiler of late and recently had a 3 port actuator replaced. What’s happening now is...
Replies
Views
Hi My oil boiler keeps locking out after running for 30/40 minutes! I then try to reset it but it won’t fire back up! I have to leave it for...
Replies
Views
Morning All, hoping you can help me out with some advice. I have a triton AS2000x manual power shower, we had a power cut last night after the...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Back