Discuss Boiler keeps short cycling with only UFH is on in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

All very strange, the difference in pump heads should only increase the flowby ~ 15% so possibly blockage.
You replied to my post in that other site re reducing d.0 to ~ 7kw to get the boiler flow temp to fall, then increase it in 1kw steps until the flow temp returns to 70C, can then calculate the exact flow rate. Do this on CH only and on main pump red speed3. Close the manual bypass valve fully and then open it to its original setting of 1/2 turn open before starting.

Sorry @John.g, I am confused on what you are asking me to do. Are you John Carroll on the other forum (buildhub.org.uk) where you replied to my post? If so, would you mind listing the steps you want me to do?

If you’re not John Carroll on the other forum, if you can outline again what you want me to do, that will be very helpful

OK, with CH only on, ensure main red pump on speed 3 (8M), when the boiler flow/return temps are steady and when the boiler flow reaches ~ 70C (its present setting), shut the manual bypass valve fully and if the boiler continues to run continuously again note the boiler flow/return temps. Then reduce d.0 to say 7kw, the boiler flow temp should then start falling, then steadily increase d.0 until the flow temp again reaches ~ 70C, note the flow/return temps, you now know what output (within reason) the boiler/CH system requires, we can then calculate the actual flow rate quite accurately from the above.

When test completed reopen the manual bypass valve a 1/2T again and again note the flow/return temps after another say 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Just a follow up question if someone can help.... if I have a system boiler installed with closed couple tees, do I still need an external pump(s)? I am aware that the existing UFH manifold pump is needed for the UFH system.

Yes for the ufh manifold the pump isn’t rated for the heating pipework from the boiler etc

So you will need two or theee depending if it’s a system boiler/ combi or heat only

point 2 the manifold pump isn’t rated to pull from the pipework so you will need another one here

Point 3 yes

point 2 the manifold pump isn’t rated to pull from the pipework so you will need another one here

Point 3 yes
thanks @ShaunCorbs.

Just to add some context, I am looking to replace my heat-only boiler with a system boiler. I already have an external pump beside each of my zone valves - photos attached of zone valves marked 1 = HW, 2 = UFH, 3 = CH

The external pump is a UPS2 25-80 (photo attached). Any issues with this pump being used for the central heating?

From what you have said, the manifold pump isn’t rated to pull from the pipework so you will need another one here. Can you expand upon where another pump will need to be fitted?

Attachments

• Pump and valves marked.jpg
    Pump and valves marked.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 9
  • Main pump.jpg
    Main pump.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 7
That pump is fine for the ch you will need a separate 15-5/60 pump for the ufh after the cct if the cct is above the boiler etc

Reply to Boiler keeps short cycling with only UFH is on in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock