Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler parts - Ebay Vs Local merchant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones82

Gas Engineer
I've been shopping around for boiler parts, I don't want to go into specifics but I'm finding my local Pts or Plumb centre is charging around 3x more for the same part on ebay! Before you think the worst... the part on ebay is new and sealed and looks exactly the same. Further shopping around has led to an online stockist selling for 1/3 cheaper than Pts...

Has anyone bought new parts off ebay and what kind of quality were they?

I wouldn't be surprised to find them exactly the same, with a merchant like Pts or Plumb centre making an incredible mark up. I don't mind paying a little more for the convenience of a local merchant but 3x more?

If my customer googles the part I'm going to look like a rip off.

If the customer googles a part then tells me I charge to much I just tell them "Yeah tried them once and the quality was rubbish that`s why there cheap", works for me.

I usually ask my customers if they want the part ASAP I will go to the merchants but if they don't mind waiting I get it from the net which like you say can be 3 x cheaper.

i would say 80% don't mind the wait for postage to save the money. I can nearly always find the genuine part on eBay or other sites with a bit of searching.

so for me I recommend going on the net!

I get some van stock like condense traps/electrodes/seal kits/diaphragms etc from HeatingSpares247. I put price on packet with markup. Buy most other items from merchants though. Bulk order the van stock so don't mind being in for delivery, but I'm not waiting for a single item.

As for Ebay, I wouldn't personally use them. You don't know if it's genuine parts, even when says it is. I know there are some genuine sellers, but just wouldn't chance it.

I've got good terms with parts center so most online places aren't worth dealing with. Euro boiler spares do some really cheap aftermarket stuff and some genuine parts but I wouldn't use eBay because there is nothing to say the box hasn't been opened or if you get a duff PCB out the box you would probably struggle to return it.

Also, my terms are based on me using them regularly so i keep it like that, and they don't mind me booking out a few parts if I suspect what it could be over the phone and then bringing the back if they weren't needed.

Parts don't fly into the van, more often than not if I'm going to the merchants its parts + 20% as this covers the hour it takes to go there, get the part and return to the job.
Don't sell yourself or the trade short, there's too many guys willing to do stuff too cheap :(

Your never get a real Cobra like that :50:

LOL LOL , even the retired ones know how to google these days.
I do mark up some gear but I am very very careful. They aint as daft as we would like to think LOL.
For some reason they seem to expect been marked up by a large firm as the norm , but for some reason don't like the small guy doing it.

Are you getting them in then now you are in the 'arms'

If your happy with the next day delivery use my old buddy Shane at Hot on heating oxford. Knows his coconuts and he's cheap. 01865 751220

Infact he make eBay look expensive. Keeps 1000's of oil gas and commercial parts on the shelf. Think he even posts to the pikies over the water (he does rest of world too)

Infact he can tell u the common faults on the boiler your working on!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL LOL , even the retired ones know how to google these days.
I do mark up some gear but I am very very careful. They aint as daft as we would like to think LOL.
For some reason they seem to expect been marked up by a large firm as the norm , but for some reason don't like the small guy doing it.

Are you getting them in then now you are in the 'arms'

even if they google cheaper prices, they still need someone to fit them :) you try going to a garage with car parts and ask them to fit them, off is the last in a line of words you'll hear

If your happy with the next day delivery use my old buddy Shane at Hot on heating oxford. Knows his coconuts and he's cheap. 01865 751220

Infact he make eBay look expensive. Keeps 1000's of oil gas and commercial parts on the shelf. Think he even posts to the pikies over the water (he does rest of world too)

Infact he can tell u the common faults on the boiler your working on!

6.08 for a nozzle, dont think so.

It was just the first danfoss nozzle I came across. Appreciate thats what the web says so I would imagine there would be terms to be applied.

For parts where customers can google them, I often put down the item cost on the bill and underneath add a handling / collection charge based on time spent / fuel to collect it etc underneath. Nobody has every queried this.

Got a brand new in box Riello fuel pump for ÂŁ30 off Ebay so I can't knock it for some things. A few years ago I got some 54mm compression fittings for a mere fraction of their new cost.

The problem with buying parts off eBay is when they are faulty as then you have a fight to get your money returned.

I have fitted a couple of Pcb off eBay before both worked ok. Some are engineers flogging there company van stock and others are spares companies getting rid of things that are on the shelf. I had a mate who used to sell them on eBay when they were left on the shelf over a certain amount of time.

Also you get a lot of reconditioned parts on eBay and for me I don't want reconditioned I want new, it's not there time wasted going back out chasing them up for parts, just not worth it.

Pay the bit extra and you have a person to talk to if it's faulty, I have been using city plumbing and they have not been too bad on prices so try shopping around.

williams are selling their flushers etc for less than new on flea bay, so its a no brainer to avoid that horrendous problem site. There are too many seconds, recons and chinese rubbish appearing there now. I ordered some chain saw parts recently only to get chinese copies that didnt work, the only good thing is that paypal/fleabay refunded my money via their complaints process, but it's hassle you dont need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler parts - Ebay Vs Local merchant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
The rusty bit with a hole at the top looks quite old, feels flimsy, and is a single skin 100mm x 400mm. The boiler has a 600mm new pipe rising vertically, then a new 135 degree bend (although the paint has come off as you can see), then the rusty pipe, another 135 degree bend which looks very...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all, I've got a bit of a strange issue relating to my Ideal Logic Combi 35 which has recently started displaying a F2 error when trying to use the central heating system. The boiler works fine when using hot water, however when I try to turn on the central heating system the boiler works...
Replies
Views
Williams25
W
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install. Our old gas combi boiler needed replacing, so we shopped around and got a deal via BOXT. Our understanding is that BOXT then sub-contract to local...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock