Discuss Boiler parts - Ebay Vs Local merchant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones82

Gas Engineer
I've been shopping around for boiler parts, I don't want to go into specifics but I'm finding my local Pts or Plumb centre is charging around 3x more for the same part on ebay! Before you think the worst... the part on ebay is new and sealed and looks exactly the same. Further shopping around has led to an online stockist selling for 1/3 cheaper than Pts...

Has anyone bought new parts off ebay and what kind of quality were they?

I wouldn't be surprised to find them exactly the same, with a merchant like Pts or Plumb centre making an incredible mark up. I don't mind paying a little more for the convenience of a local merchant but 3x more?

If my customer googles the part I'm going to look like a rip off.

If the customer googles a part then tells me I charge to much I just tell them "Yeah tried them once and the quality was rubbish that`s why there cheap", works for me.

I usually ask my customers if they want the part ASAP I will go to the merchants but if they don't mind waiting I get it from the net which like you say can be 3 x cheaper.

i would say 80% don't mind the wait for postage to save the money. I can nearly always find the genuine part on eBay or other sites with a bit of searching.

so for me I recommend going on the net!

I get some van stock like condense traps/electrodes/seal kits/diaphragms etc from HeatingSpares247. I put price on packet with markup. Buy most other items from merchants though. Bulk order the van stock so don't mind being in for delivery, but I'm not waiting for a single item.

As for Ebay, I wouldn't personally use them. You don't know if it's genuine parts, even when says it is. I know there are some genuine sellers, but just wouldn't chance it.

I've got good terms with parts center so most online places aren't worth dealing with. Euro boiler spares do some really cheap aftermarket stuff and some genuine parts but I wouldn't use eBay because there is nothing to say the box hasn't been opened or if you get a duff PCB out the box you would probably struggle to return it.

Also, my terms are based on me using them regularly so i keep it like that, and they don't mind me booking out a few parts if I suspect what it could be over the phone and then bringing the back if they weren't needed.

Parts don't fly into the van, more often than not if I'm going to the merchants its parts + 20% as this covers the hour it takes to go there, get the part and return to the job.
Don't sell yourself or the trade short, there's too many guys willing to do stuff too cheap :(

Your never get a real Cobra like that :50:

LOL LOL , even the retired ones know how to google these days.
I do mark up some gear but I am very very careful. They aint as daft as we would like to think LOL.
For some reason they seem to expect been marked up by a large firm as the norm , but for some reason don't like the small guy doing it.

Are you getting them in then now you are in the 'arms'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler parts - Ebay Vs Local merchant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock